Friday, August 8, 2008

A public protest

I am very interested in hearing what all of my readers think of this one. I personally did not publicly nurse...I had to pump but I never did it in a public place like in a mall.

Here is the article

9 comments:

Autumn said...

I breastfeed in public but was always covered up with a blanket i really don't have an issue with others breastfeeding publicly. When i can see the breast it makes me uncomfortable but that is on me not them. I think babies need to eat so feed them whenever, wherever, however.

Tara said...

I say good for them.....mothers have every right to nurse their babies when and where it is needed.

I do think that in certain places a mother does need to be aware of thier surroundings and act accordingly ie...cover up.

I agree with autumn....a formula fed baby is allowed to be fed anywhere and any time.. so why not a breast fed baby?

being breastfed is the heathliest form of food for an infant so why not (in this era of such an emphasis on nutrition) allow for that nutrition.

Jody said...

I do not have children of my own, so I have no personal past experiences. However, it does not bother me to see other women feed their babies in public. Most women I see do it very tastefully, and it is really a very natural process which is common to all mammals not just humans. Personally, I am more offended by people who talk on their cell phones while in resturaunts, or make out excessively in public. Babies need to eat and just because a mother chooses to breast feed it doesn't mean she should be stuck at home until her child is old enough for a bottle.

Lahni said...

While breast feeding is natural and we as nursing mother's don't think of that bare breast at a sexual thing, what about teenage boys that might be in that public place? I know teenage boys, I teach high school, I hear the way they talk and trust me, you don't want them staring at your bare breast. It's one thing to nurse in public and be covered. But if you were the mother of a teenage boy and you came across a women baring all while she was nursing in a public place, how would you feel about that? Or if you were a teenage boy, trying to keep your mind off those kinds of things? I think being modest while breast feeding in public is something that we do in consideration of the other people around us.

juliette pouwer said...

since I am a breastfeeding mother right now. And occationally do get out in public I guess I should take a side. Honestly when the baby is screaming to eat you feed them but it does not need to be on display. Throw a blanket over your shoulder. I do appreciate that most malls have a great room set up for moms with comfy chairs and activities for older siblings. But in a pinch I have sat in plain view, me not my boobs :D I guess it all comes down to your own belief in modesty. (I certainly agree with the teenage boys comment)

Sharon said...

I really like what Jody said about doing it tastefully. It can be done...and for everyone's comfort, it should be. It's funny that different cultures will react differently. Two of my brothers freaked out and left the room, but my little bro (that went to Mexico for his mission) just shrugged and went back to watching tv. He tried to tell the others that it's simple - just look the other way - but they still just left. But now that both of them have had their wives nurse their babies, they are okay with it.

Anonymous said...

Ok, so I have been one of those mom's who has been told to go to the bathroom. It took me a LONG time to even feel comfortable nursing Austin in somewhere that I wasn't totally by myself. If I was ANYWHERE that there were other people I always covered up. I have blankets, nursing shalls, my jacket, whatever, but no one else needs to see my boobs.

Austin was screaming on day in Wal-Mart, and I knew that I wasn't done shopping, so Todd and I sat in McD's so I could feed him. There really isn't anywhere else in the store to do it. I was completely covered (I know because I always ask Todd if he can see any skin, including my tummy/side from me lifting my shirt)... Anyways so this woman walks over and taps me on the shoulder and says "Shouldn't you be doing THAT in the bathroom!" Ummm... "Nope!" I just looked at her and said, "I don't expect you to eat in the bathroom, so why should my son be any different!" I was so angry.

I do agree that you should breast feed as "modestly" as possible. But I think if you can't see any more skin that your average t-shirt would show then people need to just look the other way if they find it a bit weird.

Kim Hawryluk said...

This is definitely a hot topic! I think a mother has the right to feed her baby. From the short two months of experience that I have, they usually don't give you a ton of warning before they start screaming for food! If you walk the length of the mall to get to the bathroom with a screaming baby, people give you looks like, "can't you quiet your baby?" or "what a horrible mother!" or maybe I just think they are giving me those looks.

Having only 2 months experience, I haven't had to feed in public too many times, but on the occasions that I have, I am totally covered - like everyone else has said. I am still a little uncomfortable with the public feeding and like Sarah, I am so paranoid that I am going to show even a little bit of skin that isn't even near my boob!

Feed the hungry little babes - just do it tastefully and modestly.

Erica said...

I think as long as you don't see nipple it's not as offensive. If a teenage boy wants to get turned on by some lady nursing her baby that's on his head-so gross. How much do you really see when your kids noggin is right in front of the breast anyway. I was way more concerned with being covered up with Josh-this time around I'm like-if you don't want to see it-don't look. If some lady wanted me to nurse in the bathroon I'd be REALLY offended too. It makes me wonder why we have to go in a room to nurse when we're at church. Seems a bit much to me but I'm pretty casual about most things involving body parts-maybe a bit too casual sometimes.