Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Kindred Spirits

If you have ever seen the movie "Anne of Green Gables", you know what I'm talking about. If not, then you should watch it because it's a really great movie.

Anyways, when I was younger and watched that movie I always wished I had a friendship like Anne and Diana's. They were kindred spirits. My sister's all seemed to find their kindred spirits while we were younger but I hadn't. Although I have always had one or two best friends in my life, I have never felt like we were kindred spirits. Don't get me wrong, I love all my friends but there's a different kind of connection with someone that you consider a kindred spirit. There's something about having and being part of a kindred spirit kind of friendship that is hard to explain to someone who's never felt that way. I didn't really feel like I had a kindred spirit until just recently. Now, I'm not going to reveal who this person is because I don't feel it necessary to do so. I LOVE ALL MY FRIENDS unconditionally.

Sometimes you just find a friend that you connect with on a different level than you do with your other friends. A friend that fits into your life like a puzzle piece that you didn't know was missing. Someone that you feel a deeper connection to than someone that maybe you've known for a long time. It's hard to explain in words what makes a friend not just a friend but a kindred spirit. It's like my friend and I were made to be friends.

I have a handful of friends that I love and adore sooooo much. Friends that I try hard to stay in contact with because of distance. Friends that I love to be with and hang out with. Friends that love me. Friends that I really would willingly give up my life for in a split second no questions asked. Friends that mean everything to me. Friends that I could not imagine my life without. I value and love and treasure deeply all my friends and the friendships I have with those I call my friend.

But this friend is someone that happened to come into my life in the most natural, unprovoked way. I'm not even sure either one of us was seeking the other out to friendship.

I always sort of envied people that had that kind of relationship with each other. You know that kind where when you see them together, you just know they are meant to be friends. The kind of friendship that last forever. The kind of friendship that when you're with the person everything else that might be wrong in your life is okay. The kind of friendship that has an unspoken comfortableness. The kind where even if you're not talking and silent, you still feel connected in the heart and soul. She (this friend) is like a sister to me.

A friendship like Anne and Diana's or Lorelei and Suki from Gilmore girls or Meredith and Cristina from Grey's Anatomy, or Monica and Rachel from Friends, or Ruth and Naomi from the Bible. A true, honest, unfailing, spirit to spirit kind of friendship.

I am so glad that I found my kindred spirit and that we have the rest of our lives to be that way. I am at total peace and comfort when we are together. And that's the kind of friendship that you never let go of.

1 comments:

Jamie said...

It has to be said...Movie!? Dearest Mandy, you MUST read the books. You would love them...
I'm glad you've found a kindred spirit. I think I have a couple of kindred spirits.