I really should be getting to bed right now but I just finished reading my friends' blogs...and some blogs that I just "stalk" and I feel like I have stuff to say.
First off, thank you to everyone for the kind comments on my previous post. Sharon, you made me cry a little because that is the nicest thing you could have said/written.
I got to go to Relief Society this week (I get to go for the last 15 minutes while Matt sits with my class for closing exercises) and the lesson was on Motherhood. I so wish that I was there for the whole lesson. It was SOOOOO good. Motherhood is a subject that I could never get tired of talking about.
I am so thankful for the child that I was blessed with. I know that having a child with differences has made me grown in ways that I couldn't have otherwise. There are always moments where you roll your eyes or your child is misbehaving, but underneath it all, I never wish that I could have a different child. Or even a "normal" child. Tanner is such a blessing in so many unfathomable ways. The joy I have being his mother is like none other. Other than having a testimony of the gospel and of Jesus Christ, there is no greater joy to me than being HIS mother. Not just A mother, but a mother to Tanner.
I think sometimes, people don't know how to act or treat people with differences and I understand that. After coming out of the hospital from being there 12 days, I didn't know how to act around people that had "normal" babies because Tanner was all I knew and came to love. But in time, it wasn't so awkward for me. There will always be people that look and have questions or say mean things but then there are those like the kids at his school that I don't even know that know Tanner and say hi. Or those who go out of their way to help him and include him. Or those who share with him, or help him. And children of all ages. Today when we were leaving the school there was a girl that is in our ward who was playing at the park and she said hi to Tanner as we walked by. She's 2 years older than him and it kind of surprised me that she said hi. 2 weeks ago, this same girl asked to help Tanner specifically in sharing time with matching some stuff. It just amazes me at how kind and loving people are. It will help make my job a little easier when he gets older and kids get meaner. I will be able to say "look at all the people that do love you no matter what"
Life is made up of so many little moments. Like the moments that take your breath away because as your helping them put on their shoes and they just will say "Mommy, I love you", or moments that make you want to cry because they sing I am a child of God to his little monkey, or moments that surprise you when they ask you to tell them the consequence of a rule they broke, or when you get up in the morning and ask you if you need your glasses on to see. There are so many little moments that make up the joy of being a mother. The supposed big stuff isn't that big anymore. It's the little things that build up to it that make it so great. Like working on learning to cut wtih scissors for the last 6 months and he can finally do it. Or hearing his teachers say how well he is doing.
I love being a mom.
3 years ago






4 comments:
Amen sistah friend.
love this post. so true eh all kids are different in some way and we need to treat others with love and respect and teach our children the same! Hope your feeling better about life this week sometimes its so tough to know what to do, or say or feel but we thankfully have a wonderful Heavenly father who loves us and really does care about us! And you have lots of friends who love and care about you too!! You are a great mom thanks for this post helps us all to realize what a great job we have!! The very most important job in the world!!
What a beautiful piece of written words. Totally from your heart. You said it SO well, for Mothers everywhere. Here's to you and your family. Wishing you the best Mother's Day thus far.
Mandy, you are an incredible woman with a great handle on life and such a pure perspective. Thank you for posting this it really is beautiful. So is your little boy. He is so obviously straight from heaven and such a blessing to not just you but to this town and our ward. You are a great mom to a very amazing and special little boy! Thanks for helping me to put things into perspective--I hope I can always teach my kid(s) to have open minds and the ability to be like the little girl that is so sweet and helpful to Tanner. And that I'll teach them to treat all children regardless of their physical differences or social status or religious or ethnic background--we truly are in this together as children of a loving all knowing Father in Heaven!
Post a Comment