
Here's the thing...I get A LOT of grief about my opinions on these movies. I have no interest, even if it was going to save my life, in watching Lord of the rings OR 
Harry Potter. I can't even get past the first 20 minutes of either of these 2 movies without wanting to scream BUT.....

I LOVE LOVE LOVE these movies. I adore the chronicles of Narnia. A lot of people say if I hate Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter, how could I possibly love Narnia. Here are my humble, honest thoughts on this (and yes, I expect I'll get even more grief about my opinion, but that's cool).
Harry Potter is all about witchery and, to me, evil. I don't know what it is about those movies, but the repulse me in every way. It's like witchcraft in my opinion.
Lord of the Rings, I realize, is VERY similar to Narnia, but here's the difference. In Lord of the Rings, it's more about the journey of a mythical creature, NOT a real person like in Narnia. I realize that there are mythical creatures in Narnia, but the main story line focuses more on the real people and the things they have to learn.
My Aunt read us The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe when we were kids and she had the BBC version of it on VHS (I know, I'm soooo old...lol) and I remember it was one of our favorites. So there was no doubt in my mind, even though I have never read any of the following books of Narnia, that I would love the rest of the series.
C.S. Lewis is quoted by our Prophets...I don't recall J.R.R. Tolken or J.K Rowlings being quoted by any of our Prophets and that's enough for me to want to continue to love these great books and see the movies.
I think in most (not all) movies you can draw spiritual parallels and see how it relates to real life. I find there are a lot of those in the Chronicles of Narnia. The other 2 movies to me, are just too dark.
Anyways, that's my 2 cents on the subject.
3 years ago






12 comments:
I kind of understand. Denver LOVES LOTR both the books and the movies. I have seen the movies and I appreciate them, but I don't really care if I never see them again. I really like Harry Potter, though. When I first started reading them, I was just struck by how much I would have LOVED them when I was little. I, as well, love the Narnia books, but the movies don't excite me that much, for some reason. My sister read me the books before I could even read. I can't wait to read them to my kids!! CS Lewis is really amazing. As a little info for you, though, CS Lewis was an atheist for a good chunk of his life and JRR Tolkien was a good friend who helped convert him to Christianity. So even though we may not quote Tolkien much as Christians, he had a profound influence on Lewis, who, I think, is one of them greatest Christian writers of our time!
I'm glad you're never apologetic about your opinions, even though they aren't always "popular!" It makes you who you are! It was really good to see you for a few minutes at church . I wish we could have chatted longer!!
I'm completely with you Mandy! I absolutely and completely LOVE the Narnia movies but can NEVER bring myself to watch either of the other two movies you mentioned that others rave about.
Hey Mandy! I have never in my wildest dreams wanted to watch LOTR... it just does not interest me. Harry Potter on the other hand I love. Not only do I find the books entertaining... there is something about the language that just reminds me of my mother, of how she talked when I grew up. When they talk about little things like sweets, instead of calling it candy. I also love the CS Lewis movies. I love the Narina series as well. I also have the BBC version of the Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe. The funny thing about Lewis is that he was athiest for most of his life. Most if not everything that people in the church quote is from his book "Mere Christanity"... as much as Lewis trys to hint at spiritual overtones in the Narnia movies, it wasn't till he wrote Mere Christanity that he actually speaks about faith. It is a very good book, and worth the read. I actually bought it I liked it so much. The funny thing about Lewis is that he is so close when it comes to his spiritual beleifs, but in other instances he is so far off. It was actually J.R.R. Tolken that helped Lewis find his faith in chistanity. So even though he is not quoted like Lewis is, it is not to say that he wasn't a spiritual man.
Wow I thought I was the only one who hasn't and will never read the Harry Potter books. I totally agree with you, too dark. I saw the LOTR movies with my hubby but certainly didn't buy them. They were also too dark and I didn't like the costumes. My vivid imagination tends to hold onto those silly images. But I loved Narnia, and can't wait to see the second one, though with my 'deadline' approaching it will probably have to be a rental :D
I never read LOTR and by the time each new movie came out I couldn't remember all the characters and storyline, so it was hard to follow. Maybe that's why I didn't enjoy it as much as others, but I did like how everyone had to work together to get rid of the evil. I also liked how it showed that obsession with something can completely destroy someone, like it did with Gollum. I hope I never have to experience firsthand an addiction to drugs, alcohol or porn, because I imagine that being so attached to "my precious" can have the same disasterous results.
As for HP, yes there is witchcraft in it but I didn't find it terribly dark. In fact, there were many many times when I found parallels and thought to myself - "isn't that so true?".
Some of the biggest ones that stuck with me were that no matter how hard Voldemort (Satan) tried, he was never able to overcome Dumbledore (Christ). Dumbledore was just always stronger. Interesting too that Voldemort and Dumbledore used to be the best of friends, almost like brothers, until one was consumed by seeking power. In the end Dumbledore does die, but he did it voluntarily for the greater good. At his death everyone thought that good was done with and they were free of all Dumbledore's influence (hello martyrdom of JS), but he left behind an army of good witches and wizards that fought on until good won.
Another thing I liked was how oblivious the muggles (non magic people) were to everything that was going on around them. When Voldemort was assembling his evil followers and getting ready for the last battles, Harry was amazed that nobody took his warnings seriously. I think that we have a great advantage to know what Satan is up to, and it can be frustrating when those outside (and sometimes inside) the church carry on with life as normal, denying that any evil exists. Those that knew about it were able to train and prepare, and were ultimately able to recognize and defeat evil.
That's just my two cents..or maybe I just like giving you grief :P
I completely understand that not everyone agrees with me either, and that's okay. Quite a few people loved Da Vinci Code, but I was so disgusted by the book that I didn't finish, and I have no plans to ever watch the movie, even the clean flicks version.
Hey Mandy
I say go for it! Express your opinions - nothing wrong with that!
I, for one, love all of those series of books/movies and for many different reasons. I have a different opinion 100% about Harry Potter, and my kids will be reading them. I agree with much of Sharon's comments - the books teach a LOT about good overcoming evil, and the choices me make determining who we are etc. But to each their own. I'm a huge LOTR fan, for the same reasonds I'm a huge Narnia fan - the plan of salvation is very apparent in both (as in the Harry potter Books, if you pay attention). In fact, one of my favorite quotes of all time is from the second Harry Potter book.
The nice thing about having agency, is the ability to exercise it! I think it's great that you have an opinion, and you shouldn't feel afraid to express it because of the OPINIONS of others -because that's all they are...opinions :)
I have never liked LOTR either but have seen the movies with my husband. I kinda like Harry Potter Although it is not my favourite. But I am totally on board with Narnia although I haven't seen Prince caspian but reallt want to.
Good for you for telling it like it is without the sugar coating!!!!
Well, since you brought it up...
First of all, you know how I feel about books turned into movies, so I will focus on the BOOKS in question, not the movies. I love all three series of books for lots of reasons. I don't think you need to experience everything to understand whether or not it is good or bad, but I do think you are making a very harsh judgment on something you have never read, and that's not very fair. You could have had Lord of the Rings read to you as a child just as easily and have a fondness for that.
I've talked to you about Harry Potter before, so while I strongly disagree with you, I'm going to leave that one alone. But I must stick up for Lord of the Rings. I happen to think that it is one of the most beautiful stories I have ever read (and I am a HUGE book snob, so that's saying a lot!) The movies do not do the books justice. Tolkien was Christian, like other people have commented, and the story is so symbolic. The ending is amazing - I loved it and thought it was so beautiful and insightful. Whether Tolkien intended it or not, I think it says so much about the plan and this amazing concept of life after death - that we don't just die and then live like angels in heaven. We still LIVE, but somewhere else, where everything is wonderful and perfect.
The story is about SO MUCH that is good. And if you think LOTR is dark, that's crazy, because I think Narnia is CRAZY dark! Aslan gets freaking tortured! And the rest of the books are not pretty. And it's silly to say that there are humans in Narnia, not in LOTR, one of the big heroes is human. BOTH stories have made-up characters and BOTH stories have humans. BOTH stories are about how good triumphs evil, but not without much struggle and loss. BOTH stories have good characters who are lost to the other side, characters who "repent", characters who are ALWAYS true and characters who are ALWAYS bad. Both are amazingly well written and speak of the beauties and the tragedies of humanity. BOTH can be dark, very dark - but so can life. Both are so fulfilling and hopeful and symbolic.
I'm not saying you should read the books or watch the movie - I don't care if you do or don't. All I'm saying is I think you are judging something you don't understand. It's OK for you to not be interested in them, be bored by them, even dislike them. But I think your reasoning is a little off-base. I honestly think that if you gave the books a fair shot, you would really like them - because you love Narnia so much. But each to their own...
But you know I love you - I hope you're not offended! :)
Well, the first thing I have to say is...another DENVER!!! Yay, I'm not crazy for naming my kid after a city! (first commenter mentioned a Denver). Anyway, I agree with Jamie about movies vs books. I haven't seen any of the Narnia movies yet (plan on it!) but I have seen the other two series' you discussed. The books are so different, so much better. I agree there is some very disturbing imagery in the movies. Definitely not for young audiences. But the books are so amazing. I will ALWAYS remember the first time I read the LOTR. I was so moved by a particular part that I was actually crying on a crowded city bus and purposely missed my bus stop so I could keep reading. Any story that is about good triumphing over evil is going to contain some unpleasantness. But life is like that and we don't do ourselves any favours by trying to pretend otherwise. I think it's extremely important for us (and our children) to be able to recognize bad/evil things for what they are so that we can avoid them. And I don't mean that we should watch a porno so that next time we see one we know what it is. I just think it's important for us to be able to distinguish between good and bad and these stories do a very good job (IMHO) of doing that, without exposing us to those kinds of things we are trying to avoid.
Hi Mandy,
I hope you don't mind my commenting here, but this post caught my attention (I'm a friend of Jamie & Lahni's and found your off their blogs).
This is probably going to sound like a provocative and contentious question, but I am genuinely curious - do you think the Harry Potter books are a negative influence on you, or just evil in general? I'm curious because having read and re-read the Harry Potter series, I find that my understanding of the gospel and the plan of salvation has actually been greatly enhanced. I've felt the Spirit strongly while pondering some of the things that I've read in Harry Potter (and LOTR, to a lesser degree), and I just have a difficult time conceptualizing these books as "evil" because of my experience.
Now, I certainly get that some kinds of books and movies are just not everyone's cup of tea, and I don't begrudge anyone their own personal tastes and standards. But it seems from your statements that you believe that Harry Potter books are, because of the witchcraft, INHERENTLY evil (please forgive me if I've misunderstood you). So I am wondering - how do you reconcile this opinion with the experience of thousands of Mormons (and others) who have gained true spiritual wisdom and insight from reading these books? Are they somehow mistaken in their feelings? Is Harry Potter evil for some people and not for others? Is it Satan, just mimicking the Spirit?
Again, not meaning to be contentious, just genuinely curious how you would respond. Thanks. :)
Okay, for those of you who have read or made all these comments, I just want to say this: I am not saying that you can't gain spiritual insight by reading and or watching these movies/books. That is not what I am saying AT ALL! What it comes down to is that I'm just not really into the other 2 books/movies. And when I say Evil when referring to HP, I don't mean Satanic, I just mean it makes me think of witchcraft which by definition is "the practice of Magic" and I do not believe in magic.
Maybe my level of understanding in all these books is far less than all of yours, but that's for me to learn as I mature. I don't discourage people from reading the books or watching the movies, like Jamie said, to each their own. And my own personal opinion is what it is. Lord of the Rings is not entertaining or interesting for me, but Narnia is.
Maybe one day when I'm grown up, I'll sit through the all the movies and understand it like the rest of you do. I just relate better, on a personal level, to the Narnia storyline.
And my opinions are strictly on the movies, NOT the books. I have not read any Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings books and at this point in my life, don't want to read them soon. Like I said, maybe one day but not now.
As for the Human thing in Narnia, my opinion was just that I felt that the story line (even though they were both probably similar) in Narnia was more about the Human children's jouney and in LOTR, it was about a mythical creature. I was in no way saying that there were no Humans in LOTR. I know there are. I have seen at least half the movie so I'm not retarded..lol.
I also have to say that I disagree with my "judgement" on something I don't understand. I believe that we all have different levels of understanding on the same things. For example, my level of understanding the Atonement could be totally different than someone elses. That doesn't mean that we don't understand the Atonement. We just understand it at a different level and that's perfectly normal. The post was just my opinion and like Bobbi said, every one has their own opinions on different things. That's what makes us all individuals. I might totally disagree on someone's opinion on disipline, but that's okay. It doesn't mean that either one of us are wrong.
I don't believe that Harry Potter books/movies are Satanically evil, they're just not for me.
I hope this somehow clears some things up. Evil is a strong word and maybe not the right word to use. I realize and know that in a lot of movies/books the message is about good over evil/bad. There are life lessons all around us and for me it's just about the presentation. The HP and LOTR movies are not a presentation that I understand. If the message about good over bad is presented in all 3 movies I don't think I need to watch all 3 series to understand that. I get that from Narnia and that's good enough for me.
But like I said, maybe one day I will find the interest in reading the books.
And thank you again for all your comments. I was not put off, offended or felt contentious by any of them.
Like Adrienne said, I never apologize for my opinions (unless I know that they have offended someone personally) because that's just what they are...opinions. And they're mine and I don't believe in changing my opinions because they are 'un-popular'. Everyone has their own opinions on things and that's great. That's part of agency. I'm just not afraid to share mine, though I do realize that sometimes they aren't as clear to other's as they are to me.
You crack me up lady.
Post a Comment