Saturday, August 21, 2010

5 for Friday

This is kind of a random 5 for Friday today (okay YESTERDAY)

1. My one rule when I go to Costco is NO CART! I can not afford to get a cart and fill it up with random things that I think I need and then I get home and am filled with guilt thinking of better things I could have done with that money. I grocery shop mainly at Superstore..why? because I have a family of 3 and there is NO WAY that my family can eat the large quantity of food that comes from Costco. We go into Costco when we have done our grocery shopping usually to get a few things (like cheese because it's cheaper there) and I find if I have to carry what I want, then I don't get more than I can handle.

2. Do you ever write questions in your comments when you comment on someones post? I do. I never expect to actually get answers but imagine my surprise when I got a personal e-mail from Busy Bee Lauren when I asked her a question in 2 separate posts! She is awesomespice!

3. Obeying the laws of the land. We just had this lesson in Primary a few weeks ago and I was thinking this week...we have been asked to boil our water. Is this the same thing as obeying the laws of the land? I boiled water up until 1 week ago (for those of you who don't know, we have been on a boil water order since end of June). I now just boil a pot of water to make ice cubes (we like our "special" drink...how's that for you Megan?) and I just add a capful of bleach to the dish water. So I'm still safe with my water I just don't use boiled water for dishes and mopping and washing the counter etc. Is it breaking the "laws" of the land by not using boiled water for everything (like we were originally asked to do)

4. I broke down to Harry Potter. What I mean by this is that I have given in to watching them. Amy lent them to Matt when we were up there last weekend and we have been watching them all this week. I have even allowed Tanner to watch them. I think I'm becoming a softie in my old age...lol. If you don't know my feelings on these Movies, then read this and this. I'm not sure how I feel about them yet. I don't hate them, but I do think they are much more darker than Chronicles. I wouldn't own them but at least I can say that I have seen them.

5. I got an iPod touch! I am really excited to be able to keep my schedule with me at all times. I can't use a pocket calendar because I can't fit all the things that I need to put on it in the tiny spaces. I didn't get it just for the calendar, I also think it's going to be convenient when I need to find something online quickly, like let's say a movie.

I just didn't want the commitment of a cell phone because let's face it, if there's an emergency, I'm sure that at least 90% of the population have cell phones. I hate cell phones. I think it's so rude when you're out with someone and they pay more attention to their phone or are more concerned about updating their facebook status...basically taking away from the time I gave up to go out for a good time. Some people are very good and know their cell phone manners but some do not. I was in a movie recently and the individual in front of me kept texting on their phone throughout the entire movie. REALLY!? Seriously? You paid money to see a movie and you're more interested in texting? That's one expensive conversation. Plus, it's distracting to those around you to have the light from your phone light up every 5 minutes. If having a cell phone interferes with other people's enjoyment of eating out or socializing etc, then you don't have good cell phone manners. I understand emergencies, but if you are constantly checking your facebook or blog or tweeting...that is NOT an emergency.

So enough of the cell phone rant...lol. Having the iPod touch will be great for many reasons (Tanner already wants me to download a ton of apps for him...lol)

Are you ready for school? We are almost there. We have been getting back into the bedtime routine already and Matt is going back to his regular hours of 3-11 next week so he can get his body used to the change. That means, FHE on Sunday's and me and Tanner for supper alone. We get to have breakfast and/or lunch together and that's good because then we get to have at least one meal together as a family. I'm going to walk the route with Tanner a couple times this week so he knows it. His school supplies are bought and ready in his backpack.

I got Tanner a Thermos brand thermos for school (even though it wasn't on the school supply list, Matt said all the kids have one on their desks, and me, not wanting Tanner to be left out, decided to get one for him) and it is seriously the best thermos I have ever come across. He choose a Backugan one and it was so good I went back and got one myself (mine is Hannah Montana). Then when I was in Wal-Mart this week, I got him a second one (Cars) so that when one of them comes home, he can take a clean one to school.

Just how awesome are they? Well, when we went to the pool a couple weekends ago when it was at least +28 or more, I put a piece of ice in his thermos, filled it with water and took it to the pool. When we were done, 3 hours later, after sitting in the sun the whole time, it was STILL ice cold! I tested it with mine and it's the same. It is so good. So Tanner can have nice cold water all morning at school, because let's face it, room temperature water is just plain gross. I'm going to test it with Hot Chocolate and then he can have a warm drink on a cold day. I better stock up on Hot Chocolate because we go through it a lot in the cold months. It's like our daily drink. Usually in the evening.

Did you get your new Sears Christmas Wish Book? We just got our this week and it's getting pretty worn already. Tanner (and, let's be honest, I) looks forward to it every year.

Well, sorry that this is so long. I had a lot to share today. Have a great day!

4 comments:

Lahni said...

I can't believe you let Tanner watch Harry Potter - was he scared? I've been reading the books to Isaiah but I won't let him watch the movies yet. It's been a while since I've watched them but somehow I think that what he can imagine is a lot less scary than what Hollywood can imagine. Maybe I'm remembering them as scarier than they are? I think I'll just read him the first three books for now and wait until he's a little older for the last four.

Mandy said...

Hey Lahni,

Tanner hasn't sat through all of any of the first 4 that we've watched. He just watches parts of it and then goes and plays. I think the last 2 we'll watch while he's asleep because the 4th one was pretty scary. He actually seems really dis-interested in them. He'll watch a part for about 10 minutes and then goes into another part of the house and plays. So, no, he's not scared because he hasn't watched all of them.

Mandy said...

Plus, Tanner is the opposite I think. He makes a much bigger deal out of reading books than he does watching a movie. He knows movies are pretend but books are more real to him.

Lady J said...

I love your No CART rule! I wish I had that kind of restraint. Sadly our family of 3 does manage to eat through a whole side of beef, actually that is mostly my husband. Anyways, I may try that next time, take only what I can carry.