So I went tonight to the local pool to learn to lane swim. What is that you may ask, I will tell you. But the story is a good one.
First, I called to find out if it's a class you have to get into the pool for or if it's just a come and learn type class. I'm informed that I can get in the pool if I want but I don't have to.
Lesson #1:Buy a wet suit SOON!
I debated for about 5 minutes (it doesn't take me too long to make such an important decision) as to weather or not I'm actually going to get in or not.
Lesson #2: if I want to be a better lane swimmer, I have to actually get into the pool and not learn by "osmosis" so to speak.
Then, I try on my 2 swim suits to decide which one will I be most comfortable in.
Lesson #3: I think I need a more modest bating suit. Mine is modest but it's very low cut and the top I wear under it is getting a little worn.
I proceed to get in the shower to shave. I might have not shaved my legs for a few days because I had tape on them and thought there was no point because it wasn't even warm enough to wear shorts/capris.
Lesson #4: If I'm planning on swimming this summer as much as I think I am...shave more often!
Then I got a babysitter for Tanner. He babysits Tanner every Wednesday while I go to my running group. I taught him in Primary last year and he's a good kid. So I get on my bike and go to the pool. As I get on my bike I realize, I'm a little cold in just my light spring jacket.
Lesson #5: wear warmer clothes in cool weather...especially if you're going to be getting wet.
Then I get to the pool and the conversation went a little like this:
ME: "I'm here to take the learn how to swim class"
HER(reception person): Do you have a pass?
ME: yes, I just didn't bring it
she proceeds to check out on the computer if I'm in the system.
HER: I don't see you on here.
ME: well I signed up for swim lessons online (THEN I realize she's talking about an annual pass...how dumb am I?)
HER: well, if you don't have a pass, then it will be $4
blah blah blah
I ended up having to ride home to get my wallet only to find out when I returned that the class (which I was pretty sure was free) was indeed free.
I was the only one there and it was pretty good. I suck at breathing. I am going to have to practise that one a lot.
I learned proper lane etiquette and learned how to "spice" up my lane swim experience by doing different strokes. Let me tell you, the athletes in the big leagues make doing the butterfly stroke look so easy...IT'S NOT! It really quite hard. You really have to think about what you're doing. I'm going to get good at it because I think I'd like to look just like a big league athlete in my wet suit when I do my triathlon in the summer...yeah, that'll look hot!
Final lesson: I think I have a lot of practising to do to get good.
3 years ago






1 comments:
Ha ha - you are funny. Good luck with your swimming!
Post a Comment