Thursday, February 28, 2008

Me Talking

At Parented Pre-school today, our question was about Technology and what we liked and disliked about it. A LOT of people said the computer. They love and both dislike it. The other ones were cell phones, and digital cameras. My feelings on cell phones are this; there is no way on this green earth that a teenager needs a cell phone. One person said they knew of grade 3 and 4's that have them! What the heck!!!! What does an 8 year old need with a cell phone? People are so dis-connected with each other now adays. It's really quite sad. I think to have a cell phone for emergencies is okay but not to carry around with you for part of a social outing or get together. They are so over-rated. Wouldn't it be easier to pick the phone up and just talk to someone? And what's with all the text messaging? It makes me think of "secret combinations". People can be so lazy! And why do people need to glitz up their cell phones? It's as ridiculous as dressing up your animals. Who do people think they are? I have a cell phone but I only got it after Tanner was born and use it 90% for emergencies. It's nice to have when we are out and don't want to get up to use the pay phone but we don't talk on it in groccery store while we're shopping, or text people when we're at the movies, or heaven forbid you should have to put your phone down to order something! It can be really frustrating when, at work, you're trying to make a sandwich and the customer is chatting on their cell phone. Sorry for interrupting your urgent phone call about getting drunk tonight because you just turned 18, but please hang up and tell me what you want on your sandwich.
Matt used to carry his cell phone to church and let me tell you, we had a discussion about it at least twice a month about it. Who carries a cell phone into church??? That's just so rude! Who's going to call you that's so important that it can't wait 3 hours? I mean, honestly. Can you even imagine a cell phone ringing in the middle of sacrament? I've heard police/fire radios but they are low and you kind of expect that if you know you have a fire or police man on call in sacrament. It's part of the job. But a cell phone?!?!
As I am sitting here typing this, I just looked down and saw that Tanner has put his Backyardigans puzzle behind the computer desk. What a funny boy! He has been so cute lately...well, with the exception of today. He was kind of a pickle at Parented Pre-School and wasn't overly coopertive. I'm not sure why, but it's been one of those afternoons with him.
I had a great chat with one of the girls at work tonight. I happened to go in to finish a shift for someone and one of the other girls, who wasn't working but drove by and saw my car, came in and we had a great chat. I really enjoy getting to know the girls I work with and what they think about certain things. It makes me think back on my days at that age and the experiences I had and what I wish I had known. I love, mostly, talking about the gospel (of the 16 girls that work there, only 3 are not members) and sharing my testimony and the things that I've learned.
Well, I think that's it for tonight. I'm going to try to go to bed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Todd takes his cell phone to church but leaves it off. It is the only "toy" that will keep Austin still for more than 30 seconds. It is a life saver. We keep saying that we need to find someones old dead one so he can have it to play with. BTW... if you ever want to here my adoption story just give me a shout. Speaking of which, we should just get together and let the kids play. Brighton needs some "friends".

Jamie said...

HA HA - you crack me up. I am totally addicted to technology. I can not live without my computer/internet connection or my cell phone. I love that I can get a hold of almost anyone whenever I need to and they can get a hold of me. Texting - love it. Such a quick and easy way to ask someone a quick question and get a quick answer. It's also nice because it isn't long distance, so I can text my mom when she's out of town and it would be WAY more expensive to phone her.
:)

Lynn said...

Mandy, did you see the bonus enclosure with this month's Ensign on President Hinckley? I had to laugh when I read it, cause it talked about the thousands of youth who were able to comfort one another after his death and they over loaded the system with their text messaging. They all decided to wear their Sunday best to School the next day in honor of him. IT really was a cool thing to read about. The funny part was what I was thinking (while reading) about what you wrote on your blog. There are really good reasons for having technology. It's the owners of some technology that may be the problem, not the technology itself. I don't know what I would do if I couldn't connect to my teenagers in a second when needed. I know where they are at all times and what they are doing. They don't own their own cell phones, but we have a third "Family" one that we insist they take whenever they leave the house. It has become a life saver, especially when needing a ride home in an emergency (needed to leave the place they were at out of discomfort).