Thursday, October 18, 2007

What's in a name?

I really should be either going to bed or reading my scriptures right now but I have had this thinking evening while Tanner napped that I knew I didn't want to forget.
I was thinking about names. Specifically a persons last given name and what it means. What does a person's last name mean to them? I feel that it is a really important thing about who a person is. When you're younger, I don't think that a lot of us understand or think about our last name. It's just a name...right? Wrong! Your last name has a lot to do with, weather you want to believe it or not, what other people think of you or treat you. Like if you were a Hilton, you could be expected to be treated in such a way because of your money. For me, it's about having a good, honorable, honest, faithful upbringing. People who know my family expect or hope that because my Dad and brother's and their parents made a name for themselves by being a certain type/kind of people, the offspring of that name will be similar. If my Dad, or let's say even us as children, were rebellious and proud and did bad things then we wouldn't have a very good reputation. And if you want other's to look at you or hear a certain name, you hope they think or say good things about you and your family. I, personally, didn't understand it why I felt expected to uphold a certain reputation when I was a child or especially a teenager. But now I do. Here I am, 20 years later and I get it. Sometimes things like that just click or it's like a lightswitch went on. I love when that happens. I hope I am making sense in what I am posting about. Sometimes you do feel like you are being watched or judged but at least you know that people care enough about weather or not you do good things. It is sometimes hard to feel like your life is like living like a fish in a glass bowl. But on the flip side, people want to know who they can trust. I feel bad for the way that I acted as a teenager because I know that it didn't bring honor or truth to my family's name. I want to be able to live a life so that people hear my name and they know that I am honest and trustworthy. It's the same with being children of the Lord. We should be living a life so that we are not disgracing His name. We need to be living with honor and dignity and honesty and everything that goes along with those qualities.
Anyway, I just wanted to get that out there. Night time is when I do my most thinking and then when I go to write about it the next day, I forget what it was that I wanted to write about. So, I think that's it for now.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Good thoughts. Maybe you should teach a RS lesson on this subject - like taking the name of Christ upon us etc. Maybe that should be your new calling - ha ha! :) I appreciate the late night thoughts since I am doing the same, but your late night and my late night are a little different!!! It's almost 12:30 here...
BTW nice new picture pretty lady!

Itworksforbobbi said...

I hear you - it's especially odd going from one reputation with my maiden name, to a completely new reputation with my married name (uh...Grunewald? Come on!). It's kind of nice, though, to know others think positively about you before they even meet you ;)

LOVE you new blog header! You look gawgeous!