Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Storytime

I'm sure you are all getting sick of me by now, but I have a lot to say this week...okay I've had a lot to say since I was born but lately I have a lot to say. Maybe I blog more lately because Matt's been working late and it takes a day or two for us to "catch up" and this is an easier outlet because then I don't forget what I want to say.

Anyway, yesterday Tanner had a special music class that the parents were invited to participate in. It was a lot of fun. The thing is, when we were there and waiting for the music specialist to come in and the kids were playing, there were these 2 ladies that kept gawking at Tanner. And I don't over-exagerate that. The whole time, even during music time, they were staring and gawking at him. I felt like going over and staring at them. Honestly, who does that? I could understand a child staring/gawking but an adult? If you want to look at my son, at least do it in an unobvious way. Don't keep gawking and staring after you know that I've seen you do it. I would think that as adults, they would be a little less obvious, but NOOOOOO! I don't know why it bothered me so much. Maybe because people have never gawked at Tanner so much in his whole entire life. It made me feel uncomfortable for me and for Tanner. Tanner, of course, doesn't notice this kind of stuff going on.

Maybe for me, because this is my normal life, it's easier if I have questions, I just ask them. If people don't want to take the time to ask questions then they don't have a right to be staring and gawking at my son. Don't people know it's not nice to stare?

Anyways, today was the first time that Tanner got to ride on the bus to school. He was so excited. It comes at 8:10 which is great because he's up by then. I was worried that it would come super early like 7:55. He took his dinosaur to help him out a bit. He was so excited about the bus that he forgot the dinosaur at school coming home on the bus. So when he got home, I had to go back and get it. Okay, okay, I didn't HAVE to go back, I chose to go back. I didn't particularly want a melt down today. It's not as if the school is so far away. It's only a 45 second drive or 10 minute walk. If Tanner walks, it's about 20...ha ha.

As I was thinking last night, I really admire the woman in my life that have worked so hard their life and still continue to work tirelessly to give service. It really exemplifies the word Charity in my mind. For example, my Aunty Elaine who I am named after (my middle name) is amazing!!!! She never ever stops. She is always busy giving service or helping out someone. Even when she is so tired and just wants a break, she keeps going. She has been through a lot in her life but she never gives up and makes time for the people in her life. She spoils her husband (which I am ashamed to say, I do not...that's a whole other discussion) and gives to the people around her. She is very knowledgeable in a lot of different things. It amazes me that at her age, she is still going quite strong. She has worked hard her whole life. She recently purchased her first kitchen table and chairs. She was so excited. All her life, she had this old table of her mother's (I think it was her mother's, but it was old) and random, unmatching chairs. It really re-enforced to me about what's really important in life. I wish we could get a new couch (the one we have, my Mom got in '91 after my Dad died). It's still functional, but we have boards under the cushions to make it sturdy and so that you don't sink into the couch. The springs are all shot but it works. I can't tell you the number of people I know that it's important to have matching things or new things just because they don't like them anymore or because they have one minor scratch or break or whatever it may be, in it. In the long run, is it going to matter if things are matching or newer? For me, the answer is no. It's about being with my family and learning and making memories. Having nice furniture, or appliances, or the newest thing doesn't matter to us. I believe even if we had tons of money, we wouldn't be rushing out to get the latest and newest things. They're just things. What price are we willing to pay for love and friendship and unity in our families and or with our friends.
It's not always easy to keep things in perspective every day. Some days are better than others but it's nice to know that there are people in our lives to help us get that perspective back.

I think that's it for now.

4 comments:

adrienne said...

That's so annoying that they were staring!! I think I totally would have said something rude, so you are much more understanding and patient than I am!! :) Yeah, I agree that it is one thing for children to stare (and it's also usually easy to explain things to them), but adults should certainly know better!!!

Itworksforbobbi said...

I wish I were clever like my husband. He would think of something witty to say (not too rude) but it would get the point across. People should definitely know it's not okay to gawk. I think if they have a question or are curious, they should buck up and ask! Children stare because they are curious - if adults stare for the same reason, maybe they should satiate their curiosity by asking! I think it was very rude!

Mandy said...

I always think of clever things to say after the fact. It's so annoying! I wish I was quick to think of clever, non rude comments. I could have said something like: Is my fly undone or something on my face because I notice that you keep looking over at me and my son...or something like that.

Jamie said...

So rude! You should have gone up to them and been like, "I don't mean to stare, but what's up with your kids?" I wish I had the guts to say snotty things to rude people at the time, but usually I'm glad I restrained myself later.
As for buying things - I am SO guilty of that. I have to constantly remind myself I don't NEED the latest and greatest - that we're blessed just to have what we have. But both Jason and I LOVE to buy things - it's a disease!!!