Here's a question that I'd really be interested in getting some feedback. What are your top 5 Winter/Christmas holiday traditions? I will have pictures tomorrow of birthday's and blankets and other fun things so stay tuned.
7
comments:
Anonymous
said...
Ok, so here are a few of mine.... in no particular order. 1. Christmas eve I play a game called 7's with my Mum's family. Kinda like a white elephant with dice and a timer :P 2. Advent calenders... I love them, I am thinking of making one this weekend, instead of buying them. 3. Seeing the nativity 4. Making chocolates, caramels, cookies, and nuts and bolts on our family bake-a-thon day. 5. Christmas letters and pictures 6. Going to the towns Old fashioned Christmas thing.
Ok, so that was 6... I have more, but that was just a few!
Hey! That's a great question! My mom started a tradition of having this huge green felt calendar that had these giant pockets for every day in December counting down until Christmas Eve. Every day we would pull out a piece to that nativity scene and an activity for the family to participate in that day. I loved this so much that when I got married, I got the pattern from her and now I carry on the tradition with my own family. So, the 5 traditions that I love are all found in this calendar. 1. Sleeping under the Christmas tree (this includes watching home movies and having special treats) 2. $3 dinner (everyone is given $3 to spend on something that they like and then we pool it all together and it is our dinner) 3. Make gingerbread village (we actually use graham crackers instead of gingerbread, but it is still a blast!!!) 4. Go see the Nativity 5. Have a Christmas party (we have an adult Christmas party every year and it is one of my favorite things to do!)
Our family always takes a Saturday in early December to go out into the mountains and chop down a Christmas tree. We spend the day out there roasting hot dogs and marshmallows and doing some tobogganing. It's super fun, even when it's freezing.
hmmm. my "Christmas Traditions" were... WAS basically to switch Christmases with my divorced parents and other family. Last Christmas was a flop and we're no longer doing that (we carried the "switching Christmases" 3 years into my marriage, but no longer!) Now that I've got my own family, we need to figure out what traditions we want to keep each Christmas - these are some awesome ideas!
1. The 12 days of Christmas Stories. 2. Huge Turkey Dinner on Christmas Eve...all dressed up....us AND the table. 3. Left overs on Christmas day and laying around in PJ's all day. 4. Opening of one gift each Christmas Eve. I am German and St. Nick comes then. 5. Wrapping a Tree ornament up for every single family in our ward and delivering them. 6. STake Choir Festival, and the First Presidency's Christmas Devotional with our entire family attending. 7.Leaving our Outdoor Christmas lights on the WHOLE CHRISTMAS EVE and CHRISTMAS DAY!
1: Christmas eve with my family, we go to Calgary, meet up at my Uncles, eat food and play the White Elephant Game. SO FUN! 2: We do a Jesus Sock Christmas day. We write on a piece of paper a gift we could give to Jesus, put it in the sock, and open it next Christmas to see how well we did:) 3:TURKEY DINNER BABY! With my mom's incredibly delicious, home made, sugar free apple pie... ooooo *drools*
Okay okay... I have only three... but as we grew up, my parents started turning into "scrooges" and the traditions started to disappear. Scott and I now have to start creating our own traditions now:)
Here are a few of our traditions -We celebrate Christmas with my husbands family on Christmas Eve(they've always celebrated on Christmas eve as its a german tradition), and my family on Christmas Day -Christmas day we all go see a movie together -rather than making a turkey on Christmas day, my mom makes everything the night before that way we can all relax together on Christmas day -advent calendars -baking Christmas treat together
7 comments:
Ok, so here are a few of mine.... in no particular order.
1. Christmas eve I play a game called 7's with my Mum's family. Kinda like a white elephant with dice and a timer :P
2. Advent calenders... I love them, I am thinking of making one this weekend, instead of buying them.
3. Seeing the nativity
4. Making chocolates, caramels, cookies, and nuts and bolts on our family bake-a-thon day.
5. Christmas letters and pictures
6. Going to the towns Old fashioned Christmas thing.
Ok, so that was 6... I have more, but that was just a few!
Hey! That's a great question! My mom started a tradition of having this huge green felt calendar that had these giant pockets for every day in December counting down until Christmas Eve. Every day we would pull out a piece to that nativity scene and an activity for the family to participate in that day. I loved this so much that when I got married, I got the pattern from her and now I carry on the tradition with my own family. So, the 5 traditions that I love are all found in this calendar.
1. Sleeping under the Christmas tree (this includes watching home movies and having special treats)
2. $3 dinner (everyone is given $3 to spend on something that they like and then we pool it all together and it is our dinner)
3. Make gingerbread village (we actually use graham crackers instead of gingerbread, but it is still a blast!!!)
4. Go see the Nativity
5. Have a Christmas party (we have an adult Christmas party every year and it is one of my favorite things to do!)
Our family always takes a Saturday in early December to go out into the mountains and chop down a Christmas tree. We spend the day out there roasting hot dogs and marshmallows and doing some tobogganing. It's super fun, even when it's freezing.
hmmm. my "Christmas Traditions" were... WAS basically to switch Christmases with my divorced parents and other family. Last Christmas was a flop and we're no longer doing that (we carried the "switching Christmases" 3 years into my marriage, but no longer!) Now that I've got my own family, we need to figure out what traditions we want to keep each Christmas - these are some awesome ideas!
1. The 12 days of Christmas Stories.
2. Huge Turkey Dinner on Christmas Eve...all dressed up....us AND the table.
3. Left overs on Christmas day and laying around in PJ's all day.
4. Opening of one gift each Christmas Eve. I am German and St. Nick comes then.
5. Wrapping a Tree ornament up for every single family in our ward and delivering them.
6. STake Choir Festival, and the First Presidency's Christmas Devotional with our entire family attending.
7.Leaving our Outdoor Christmas lights on the WHOLE CHRISTMAS EVE and CHRISTMAS DAY!
MERRY CHRISTMAS!!
1: Christmas eve with my family, we go to Calgary, meet up at my Uncles, eat food and play the White Elephant Game. SO FUN!
2: We do a Jesus Sock Christmas day. We write on a piece of paper a gift we could give to Jesus, put it in the sock, and open it next Christmas to see how well we did:)
3:TURKEY DINNER BABY! With my mom's incredibly delicious, home made, sugar free apple pie... ooooo *drools*
Okay okay... I have only three... but as we grew up, my parents started turning into "scrooges" and the traditions started to disappear. Scott and I now have to start creating our own traditions now:)
I'm SO EXCITED FOR THAT:D
Here are a few of our traditions
-We celebrate Christmas with my husbands family on Christmas Eve(they've always celebrated on Christmas eve as its a german tradition), and my family on Christmas Day
-Christmas day we all go see a movie together
-rather than making a turkey on Christmas day, my mom makes everything the night before that way we can all relax together on Christmas day
-advent calendars
-baking Christmas treat together
Post a Comment