First off, can I say how much I dislike reading black backgrounded blogs. I know a few of you (about 3 or 4 of you) have them, but they are SO hard to read. I still read them...don't worry I wouldn't stop, but it does make your eyes go funny. Maybe I'm getting old.
For mostly Sharon's sake I'm posting this because I told her I would. And I know she reads my blog every day (thanks). Plus I told her I'd blog about it because this kind of stuff gets my juices flowing. I went to Parented Pre-School today. I didn't go last week because Tanner was sick still. So we get there late (25 minutes) because the home visit lady that comes through the PUF program is running behind, therefore making me behind. We got there just in time for Circle time and class/playtime. In the parented "teaching" class we talked about, and got a hand out on, sharing. We started off in partners and we were given legos to build/play with. We were instructed that whatever partner was on the left hand side of the 2 got the lego. We didn't get any further instruction on what we were to build or how long we had or if our partner was getting a turn. Then the teacher comes and says: time to let your partner have a turn, give it to them. It was kind of an odd feeling but the point was how many times do we tell our kids to just go and play, without any further instruction and then when they are really involved with the toy, we say: it's time to let "suzie" play with it. It was kind of an eye opener for me. I didn't think about sharing that way. I don't usually have problems with Tanner sharing with other kids. He usually more than happy to. I do have to step in and help him to see that he has 100 other trains and that 2 trains isn't a big deal to share with someone else. But just the feeling that if you were lets say.......reading a good book and someone came up and said oh, I want to read that book and then took it from you. Or if someone said "you need to share that book now. Give it to so and so". That would be really hard. So we talked about different ways on how to share. I, personally, felt like there was no really good solution to it. We all have to learn to share and every child is different and responds differently to sharing. Some children don't have any problems with it, but others have a HUGE problem with sharing. Maybe we need to start calling it borrowing instead of sharing. We, as adults don't ask to share things with each other. We ask to borrow them so why are we trying to teach our kids about sharing when really, it's just borrowing?
I wonder, for those of you that are in Wednesday's class or any of the other ones what the response was in your class and what your take is on it.
I know one Mom said that her child just does not like to share all the time with the older sibling and so the Mom was asking what do you do in a situation like that. For me, if Tanner can't share, I just take the toy away. I try to help intervene but sometimes if that doesn't work, I just take it away. I know it's not fair to either child but life isn't fair. I think these kinds of things build children up and stregthen their character. These little things are their trials, in a way. Maybe that's a little far fetched, but if you think about it....is it fair if we are doing what we are told to do (obedience) that our car breaks down, or our dog dies, or our house floods, or our furnace stops working because it's so cold. NO! But those are our "bumps" or trials as adults, just like sharing or borrowing may be a trial for a child. Having that trial will help build up their charcter. I hope that makes sense. Maybe we need to start trying to approach it in a differnt manner. Most of us have things that work for us in our families, some have things that don't work. If it doesn't work, then try something different. Right now, well actually for the past 3 months, Tanner has been sleeping on a foam mattress in our room because he kept waking up in the night with bad dreams. For some families, that wouldn't work. But for us, in order for all of us to have a good night's sleep (which helps me be a better, non cranky mother and wife), it works. And really, in the eternal perspective, I don't feel that it will harm him to sleep there until he feels it's safe to sleep in his own bed. How would you like to be forced into a place you were afriad of just because someone else thought it was better for you? I wouldn't.
So maybe sharing isn't your child's thing. Maybe 90% of the time they doesn't want to share, but maybe sometimes, that's okay. Maybe the other child could find another toy. I'm not saying let your child have his way with toys all the time. I don't have multiple children but if I do, I would divide some of the toys for each child to be specifically their own. With those toys, I wouldn't expect my child to share if he didn't want to. But then I'd have some "everybody can play with these" toys (I'm really into quotation marks tonight for some random reason...sorry) and I would expect my children to share them. Of course the "special" toys would have to be put away until the playmate left but we don't have that situation. Generally the children Tanner plays with, are good at sharing too. There's not one of the children, that I can think of, that absolutely refuses to share their toys with Tanner every time he comes. Of course children have good days and bad days and some days they are going to be more willing to share than others, but we should be tolerant and understanding of that. And some days you'll just have to say "my child is playing with that and that's that". You can't always force the toy out.
We also need to be our children's advocate! I can not express that enough. If our child is having a temper tantrum or upset, I think (I'm not 100% perfect at this) we need to try to identify the childs feelings. I know with Tanner, I express to him that I know and understand it's hard for him and that I know he doesn't like it and I'm sorry that he is mad or upset. It usually helps him for the next time and then he'll say to me that he's mad. Sometimes they just need that tantrum, I agree, to just let out their frustrations and I think that's good. That's healthy, in my opinion. But sometimes it helps, at least for me it has, to just have a quick chat (like 1-2 minutes) about how he might have been feeling and why. Sometimes he just says "I don't know" but other times he can tell me it made him sad or mad or not happy. I'm not saying be an advocate just for our childs behavior, but in a lot of things. Our children can't always stand up for themselves and need that extra guidance or voice to stand up.
Well, that's enough of that. I hope you got your fill and I would love to hear people's responses to this.
3 years ago






10 comments:
wow Mandy, now I wish I had put my glasses on before I came downstairs..I can read short things without them but that was a nice long rant! Sounds like that was a good way to show how frustrating sharing can be, although I agree it can't always be done. Like with Lambie - I just can't force him to hand over his fave animal - to me it would be like someone telling me to let so and so wear my wedding ring or something else special. Thanks for the read and thamks again for taking the snack, maybe next week will be less mucousy and we can make it. Were there enough muffins?
We did the Lego "experiment" too. It was a bit eye opening. Although I have always took a different veiw on sharing. I don't tell Brigth "you have to share"... if another kid wants what he has, I just say "When you are done with it, can so-and-so have a turn" Sometimes he hands it right over and sometimes it takes him 5, 10, 15 minutes to be "done" with it. It works most of the time. I do like wise when he wants something that another child has. I just ask them to let Brighton know when they are done so he can have a turn. When it doesn't work, or two (or more) kids are fighting over the same toy I take it away. I don't think it teaches them anything to just "fight it out"... plus I usually can't handle the extra stress and noise it causes. Just my two cents. BTW... I check your blog just about everyday... even if I don't comment!
I just realized that I wrote Brigth instead of Bright... that's what comes from pressing "publish" before reading what you wrote!
K... this is like comment day for me. I have a black backed blog. I just haven't found something I totally LOVE yet. It will probably change in a few weeks, when I try something else out *lol*
I know what you mean about the sharing thing. This is what I TRY to do - before kids come over for a play date I ask Nate if there are any special toys he DOESN'T want to share that day and we put them away (I only allow one or two). Then I explain that his friend is coming over for just a few hours, that he needs to share his toys nicely and that the friend is going home after a little bit and he will be able to play with all this toys again, all by himself. If I actually do this, it works pretty well. As for sibling sharing - both boys have their own toys, but they share them because they always want to play with the other person's. If Nate doesn't want Jax to play with a particular toy, I point out that he then won't be able to play with Jax's toys and that usually stumps him.
I don't think sharing means taking a toy away from a child after a few minutes and giving it to another child. That's not sharing. If Child A is playing with a toy and doesn't want to share, than Child B should find something else to play with (maybe with some adult guidance). Then when you can see Child A is losing interest in their toy, you can ask them if they are done with it and may Child B have a turn. If Child A and Child B see the same toy at the same time, I agree with the other comments - put it up if they can't play with it together without fighting or are unwilling to take turns.
I don't know - those are just my thoughts...
How often are adults asked to share? If I got a brand new mercedes, the last thing I would expect is my neighbor to come over and say "Okay, my turn! Hand it over!" LOL! At the same time, we are supposed to teach our children to develop attributes like Charity and generosity. So, keeping in mind that my kids have treasures that are very special to them I, like Jamie, put away a few toys that are extra special to my children BEFORE the playdate, and then try to be present during play time to help them work through any sharing issues. I also tell the child to let the other child have a turn when my child is done, and vice versa with the other child. It usually works fine. Or I try to suggest a way that they play together - showing them how fun it is to create a game together.
I think above all, we need to remember that they are CHILDREN and they can't work through everything on their own. That's why they have parents to set the example and teach/guide them through tough situations. That's just my 2 cents.
Bobbi, that was the point of the exercise. We as adults aren't asked to share our things so why do we ask that our kids share things that are theirs? That's why I suggested maybe instead of calling it sharing, we say "let's take turns". Obviously there is not a black and white way to teach our kids "sharing" but on the flip side, like you said, we have to teach them about Charity and generosity. I have done the putting away certain toys, but it usually occurs when the friend is over and it's usually his special monkey (dangles) that gets put away until the friend goes home. I have tried suggesting he put a few toys away but he always says no. So does he understand the concept...I don't know. Maybe he doesn't. But then I would put the question out there, is there a beter and/or different way to teach our kids about chairity and generosity wiithout expecting them to do what we as adults aren't willing to do? I'd be interested in hearing what your thoughts are on this.
Mandy,
I just wanted to say Hi. I've read a little on your blog and you are a great writer. It's lots to think about! I think you are awesome. All I can say is it is not easy being a mom, I just try to do my (faltering) best and have faith! Thanks for sharing .. your thoughts.
Amy
Hi Mandy!
I kind of disagree that we as adults aren't asked to share. We have to share, it's just a different kind of sharing. It's not usually things. We have to share our space whether that be at home with family or at work in an office or out in public. We have to take turns and wait in line. If you ever have roommates you usually do a lot of sharing. I have to share my time with my kids and my family and at church with my calling. I think the difference is no one MAKES us share. So that's a little abstract, but I think teaching kids to share "things" helps prepare them to get along and share in a different way as adults. It will eventually translate to charity and generosity if they learn it at a young age. That being said, I don't think young children should be expected to share because they can't understand it developmentally, but I still think we should try teaching them. You've already got lots of great suggestions, like turn taking or putting stuff away that they don't want to share. I try to do both of those things. With siblings, I usually do as one previous poster said and tell Macartney that if she won't take turns or share with Thatcher then she can't play with his toys. It kind of works sometimes. I also won't let Thatcher steal things from her, even though he's little, because then she understands that she can't take things from other kids. Another good way to teach real charity is to give things away. At Christmas we took a toy and a turkey to a homeless shelter. We sat Macartney down and told her that some kids don't have any toys and we need to share with them. She had a hard time because she wanted to keep it, but we took her with us and she gave the toy to a worker at the shelter. After that, she was really excited that she gave it to a kid that didn't have anything. I'd like to do more things like that, because the kind of sharing I really want my children to learn.
You and your "hot topics!" I love it.
Adrienne, that's a great point. I never thought of it that way. It's so true that we have to share our time, talents, energy etc etc. I guess maybe if I have another baby, I'll understand it better or in a different light. Thanks for sharing.
P.S. BOBBI: I hope you didn't think I was being snooty in my response. I wasn't trying to be. When I re-read it, it sounds a bit snooty. I was just responding to your post, that's all. I hope it came across the way I intended but if it didn't, I'm sorry.
Post a Comment