I know I am a little behind and I've gotten a little bit of grief for this....sorry. I will try to stay on top of it. Tanner's surgery, overall, went well. He is such a trooper. When my sister, Megan, came to see him he asked "is Uncle Dean coming in 5 minutes?". He wasn't able to come but he sent Tanner a hug. Then as Amy, Megan and Grandma were leaving, he said "I don't want you to go, I want you to stay". It was so sweet. The next day he informed me that he didn't want to go home to Raymond, he wanted to stay with Grandma and Amy. So though he is a trooper, he has not completely recovered yet. He is not bouncing back like he usually does after surgery. That little spark in his eyes is not there. He just wants to lay around and watch movies. I have to tell him that if he doesn't drink and eat, I'll have to take him back to the hospital. He just isn't himself in any capacity. He has an appointment with the doctor tomorrow afternoon. I suspect he has a bad case of a cold, but even when he has a cold, he is perkier than this. So hopefully, he hasn't got an infection. That would not be the first time though. After he had his head surgery he got a very bad bacterial infection that landed him in the hospital for 5 extra days after the fact that we had been discharged 24 hours earlier. Anyway, that's Tanner for now.
As my sister was telling us a story about how when she took the boy she nannies to skating practice and how all the other mom's were outfitted in the suburban type outfits...you know the ones. The ones that wear lululemon outfits just to take their kids to practice, the ones that are ALWAYS perfectly put together, always have their hair and make up just right, the ones that have their Blackberries with them at all times. You know the "type" that I'm talking about. Anyways, it got me to thinking, why does it matter so much if you are perfectly put together or not. First, let me say, if you like that kind of thing, fine. But for me, that is one of the reasons I love where I live. People go to the grocery store in their P.J.s and slippers (don't laugh, I've seen it before) and nobody even bats an eyelash. It's like it is a normal thing to do. And I say, good for them. I don't believe you have to be perfectly put together to go out somewhere. I know that when you dress nice, you generally feel better but do people honestly feel like they WANT to dress their best every single day. Don't people ever just want to put whatever they want on and just go? Why doesn't it seem acceptable to just throw on a pair of sweats or comfy pants and your favorite t-shirt and go out? If you do this kind of thing in the big city, you get looked at like you have some sort of contagious disease. And what is it about dressing nice that makes a person feel good? Clothes is clothes isn't it? When I wear nice clothes, it's usually a little more restrictive than clothes you would hang out at home in and it makes me want to get out of them faster. Sure, I feel good and look nice, but I want to go home and get in my p.j's or sweats and just be comfortable. Why does comfort come at such prices?
On another note, I won a photo contest on Facebook. It's a picture of Tanner peeking out of the dryer. It's really cute. I was happy that my picture got picked. I really don't like posting pictures on here, so if you're not already a Facebook friend, you'll have to check it out on our family website.
A friend at work lent me "the office" season 1. Matt and I watched it and it is so hilarious. We don't have cable (most of you know that already) so we watch movies and the few shows that my sister tapes for us later. It has really cut the cost of living down. We haven't had T.V. since we moved here, so about 13 months. We don't really miss it to be honest. It has really helped us accomplish things that we would otherwise get distracted from with T.V.
Today, I was able to accomplish a lot. I got all my laundry done and folded, bathroom cleaned, kitchen swept and mopped, emptied my deep freeze so that I can clean it out from the ice that's been building up in it, vacuumed, and went through my cooking magazines and got rid of the ones that I knew I wasn't going to look at again and tidied up Tanner's room. I also bathed Tanner for the first time in a week (that was one of the instructions when leaving... is I couldn't bathe him for 3 days and when I could, it had to be 5 minute baths in only about 2 inches deep of water). It feels really great to be able to accomplish so much. Oh! I also cleaned out our 'junk' drawer. Now, I need to put the dishes away and wash the ones that are dirty.
I am reading this amazing book right now. It's called "Simplify". It is such a good book. An easy read and really enlightening. It's a church book so that makes it even better. One of my goals this year is to read one book a month. I picked an easier one this month. Next month, it's a bit of a challenge. I got about 5 or 6 books for Christmas last year (2006) and I haven't had a chance to read them all. I have an Aunt that is an avid book reader and so I really want to be able to do that.
While I was in Calgary, I actually missed working a little bit. I missed seeing the girls I work with and having that bit of routine at night.
So that's my life for the last week. It's been a nice break in one way, but I'm glad to be back into the swing of my life here at home.
3 years ago






3 comments:
Oh, thank you thank you for the good read! The computer chair is the most comfortable place to feed Anna so I check things quite regularly, which is probably why it felt like forever since I had heard anything from you. Glad the surgery went good but hope that Tanner is feeling closer to 100% soon. I have been trying to get ahold of the specialist for Matty, but he is on vacation so it will have to wait. I was supposed to take him in in September, but with house and baby never did. The doc keeps waiting to see if things clear up on their own, but they aren't so we may be facing surgery ourselves. I'm not looking forward to it! Good job with the decluttering - it's always such a big task, and in the end all I ever feel like is that I moved it all to another place! It's good to have you home...come hang out in pjs anytime.
I hope Tanner feels better soon! Poor little guy! I know what you mean about going out in your comfy clothes - I totally feel like I can't do that But I gave up on trying to be all put together to drive Nate to school. Thanks for the update! :)
I'm with you Mandy-I've never quite understood why people are so uncomfortable going out without their makeup or hair perfectly done or when they HAVE to change just to walk out the door! I personally think that those people aren't really ok with who they are inside and have to portray a certain image to make them feel like they are accepted. Like the ladies at the gym with full makeup on-what the heck? We're there to sweat and burn calories-not take pictures-LOL. Although I do have to say that I am a HUGE fan of Lululemon-everyone's butt looks better in Lululemon-I dare someone to prove me wrong ;> Maybe the moms on the playground are just excited to not be at their house so they get dolled up because they're seeing someone other than their snotty nosed toddlers. LOL.
Post a Comment