Wednesday, November 7, 2007

This is a gooder

Last week in our package of weekly flyer's came the Toys R Us Christmas catalogue. I really haven't had a chance to look at it because I can barely take it away from Tanner long enough to get a good look at it. Well last night when he went to bed at 7:30 I decided I was going to waste time looking at it. I had to laugh at some of the things in it. I will share with you some of the things I found quite funny.

First a digital photo frame with a remote control. So now when your guests least suspect it, you can switch the picture and they think they might be crazy because they are sure there was a different picture there 30 seconds ago but are too embarrassed to ask so they keep quiet. Then later in the evening, there's another picture there...how did that happen??? Mmmm....I wonder.

A nintendo DS game called "Master Chef". Unless it can actually cook gourmet food in real life, I'm not interested. Who comes up with these things?

Digi Glam Makeover. You can change your hairstyle, make up and accessories. It has a built in digital camera so you can give yourself or friends a makeover. I'd like a makeover at least once a week so will it actually do it in real life? What is the purpose of this thing? So you can look different every 20 minutes? To see what you could potentially look like. Show that to your Mother when you want green hair and see what she says.

Roboquad. This is an actual robot with mulit-directional movement capabilities, advanced sensory awareness and advanced movement control. Do I need to even say anything about this one? Could people get any lazier?

Remote control dragon Fly or Bee. Now there's more ways to annoy your parents and siblings with a flying bee/dragon fly that flies inside or outside of the house. Awesome!

Thomas Whistle Lounger. With real "chugga chugga" sounds and train whistle. Wheels really turn. So while watching your favorite show, you can have train sounds and move your "lounger" around. Sounds like fun to me.

Girl Crush Hair Streaker. Now little girls can streak their hair any color they want, whenever they want.

Society has become bombarded with toys of all sorts. Some of them are useful/helpful and even fun. But then there are some of them that I wonder "how can a company get away with such random toys/things?" Like it's a competition to see who can make the neatest, coolest, funnest item. I remember as a child, we didn't have many toys. We had tons and tons and tons of Barbie's and Barbie clothes and accessories. That's pretty much what we all got (except Melany) for Christmases. We had other toys, but not that many. My Mom and Dad and Aunt built us this huge massive Barbie house to play in. Just ask anyone who ever came over, they can attest to how big this thing was. It was a 9 room house that stood about 5 feet tall and 6 feet wide. It had real carpet and wall paper in it. There was even a room or two with lino. It was the sweetest house. We played a lot of house and dress up and store when we were kids. We didn't have the latest and greatest in toys. It makes me realize how spoiled children (including my own) are these days. Why does every child you have need a T.V. in their room? Why does a 6 year old need a Nintendo or Sega or Wii? What happened to good old fashioned imagination and crafts. Lego, trains and dinosaurs for boys and barbies and dress up for girls? In the summer time, we were rarely found inside the house. We ran through the sprinkler, played on the slip and slide, jumped on the trampoline, had fashion shows in the backyard, rode our bikes. We hated to go inside and now, you can't get a kid to even think about leaving the T.V. or the game they're playing. The latest thing I've seen is grade 6's having cell phones, texting their friends. Why in the world does a 12 year old need a phone? Where is that child going that they feel they need a phone? What happened to carrying .25 cents...well, .35 now.

I have also come to realize that I am very much a simple kind of person. When we get a house, there are maybe 2 things we are going to splurge on...a shower head that is one of those super huge ones and Matt wants this type of toilet that has 2 different kinds of flushes. One for small jobs and one for big ones, if you get my drift. But it doesn't really matter to me if I have the latest style of kitchen cupboards, or even a dishwasher. My feelings and theory is that if it's functional, why pay mega bucks on something that is just the style. If it's not broken don't fix it. If it's less expensive and still functional then why not save the extra money. That is my thinking on the subject.

Anyway, that is it for now. I should get back to my catching up that I need to do. Plus I need to make bread because we are on our last half a loaf. I refuse to buy bread, now that I know how to make it and it's probably cheaper to make it. But it's a weekly job that has to be done. So, I'm off until next time.

5 comments:

Itworksforbobbi said...

LOL! So funny - and so true! I agree with the sentiment that there are too many toys now a days. We've had 3/4 of our toys packed for the last few weeks, and you know what? The kids don't even notice! I think we completely bombard our kids with too much stimulation :)

Lahni said...

I looked at that same flyer and had some of the same thoughts. Who comes up with these things?

Jamie said...

Um, you managed to make fun of every single item I had marked off to buy for myself or my kids. I especially want the makeover kit - how fun would that be for sleepovers!? Ha ha ha. JK!
That's why you have to take the handmade pledge and either make your gifts, or buy handmade this year. I'm going to try it - but not for my little boys since I'm already done them. I know what you mean about traditional toys and using your imagination though. So true!

Mandy said...

Well I'm glad you feel that way Jamie because your gift has been made for about 3 months now. Phew! Now I know you'll like it. LOL!

TheMousirFamily said...

Mandy, I am so glad you write this things, I need to know there are others out there with the same ideas and thoughts.....recently I have taken most of my kids toys away and took pictures of them and I am making them request toys through the pictures because it is too much stimulation for my kids to have more than 1 or 2 toys out at a time.....I can't wait till I have a bigger place to put them in a toy room cupboard......and not my bedroom but it all works