Saturday, November 17, 2007

My 5k

Today I ran my very first 5k run. Okay, I sped walked the whole way, but at least I was in a run for a good cause. My friend was looking for someone to go with and I've always wanted to do one so I offered and off we went. She's a runner and I'm not so much. She can run up to 28 minutes (I think that's what she told me) and my max is about 7 and a half minutes. I'm such a slow poke. Anyway, we didn't run because she had her little 3 month old in a snugly and it would be hard for her to run with her. That's okay, though. I didn't mind. She would have been done the race 15 minutes or more earlier than me if she didn't have her little one. It was a pretty good day. Not overly cold but not warm by any stretch of the word. Anyways, we came in at 46:02 which is good for me since it was my first time doing something like that. I'm just sorry that she couldn't get a better time because of my lack of ability to run. Oh well...I'm going to train for a 6k in March and we'll go together and do it. I'm looking forward to it. I've always kind of secretly wanted to be a runner and do marathon's and stuff but didn't have the guts to do it alone. Now that I have a 'partner' I have more motivation to get in shape.

I am looking at an insanely busy week. This Wednesday is Tanner's 4th...yes 4th birthday. It's hard to believe that time has gone by so quickly. I have baking to do every day this week. I will try to remember to breathe and relax, but there are no guarantees. I am really excited for his part on Saturday with the family. It should be fun. I'm mostly looking forward to my family coming down and seeing them.

This week was just an okay one. Nothing extreme happened...okay that's a total lie! On Tuesday night, Tanner was in the bath having fun, and I don't normally supervise him because he's old enough to be in there on his own and I can always hear him. Anyways, he has some toy buckets in there and he likes to fill them and dump water on himself. Well that night for some random reason, he decided that he was going to dump at least 4 big bucket fulls out of the tub and onto the bathroom floor before it clicked in my brain what he was doing. I thought he was just splashing around but nope. I went in and told him to get out of the tub and go to his room. He asked for a towel and I said "no, just get to your room right now and I'll talk to you when I clean up this mess". So I cleaned it up. Then I went in to talk to him and I told him that I was disappointed that I couldn't leave him in there without him making a big mess and that he was not allowed to have a bath for a very very very long time. Maybe until he was 10 years old. I told him no more baths with Mommy or Daddy and only showers. He said sorry to which I replied "I'm sorry that you won't be able to have baths for a very long time because I know how much you love them". He didn't cry about it, he just got dressed and went back to playing. So tonight when Matt had a bath, he of course wanted to get in and we told him he couldn't. He was not happy about that but we are standing firm in not allowing him to have baths for a long time. This is not the first time he has made a mess of water on the floor and we remind him every time he gets in the bath that water has to stay inside the tub. So, that was Tuesday. Not the best night but at least it could have been worse. I recognized that I stayed in complete control of my frustration about the situation and was amazingly calm about it. I didn't raise my voice at all and when I sent him to his room, I asked him nicely (I actually said "Please go to your room right now!). So, that's a positive thing.

We made cookies on Thursday. Tanner LOVES to help bake things, which I do on a pretty regular basis. Weather it's bread, or cookies, or squares, it's a weekly thing. I usually give them away except for a small amount for us. I like baking and giving it away, but I like eating it more so I have to be careful. I have to watch how many treats I eat because of my pre-diabetes. It's something that I have to watch more than before. Plus, I can't eat enormous amounts of food. When I go to a buffet, I take one spoonful of each thing I like instead of 2 or 3 spoonfuls. So if you want some baking, let me know.

It was a pretty windy week this week so we didn't get out too much. Luckily, I had the car for about 3 days this week so that was really helpful in preventing long, hard bike rides to school or to the post office. It's kinda funny that ever since we moved here, my life is about walking or bike riding everywhere. I'm really lucky to have the car. In Calgary, it was the opposite. Matt was lucky to have the car because I ALWAYS had it. I like walking everywhere. It seems kind of silly to get in the car to drive 1 or 2 blocks to go to the store or to a friends house. It makes me realize how lazy people can really be...including me when we lived in Calgary. It was really funny because if I offered to walk anywhere that was a distance, people would look at me like I was crazy. I remember I walked to my Mom's house with Tanner in the stroller one time and it took me 2 hours and 45 minutes. I could have taken the car (which would have taken me about 15 minutes) but I wanted to walk. It was a beautiful spring day and I was up and needed the exercise. I was tired at the end but I enjoyed it for the most part. Then we got bikes and everything changed. And we got a double bike trailer for Tanner to go in that converts into a stroller so it's really handy. And it glides through snow like butter. So smooth and nice.

So I've had a physical 5k and a 5k kind of week. Slow but now at the end.

So these are my random thoughts for tonight. I don't have anything deep to say. No opinions on anything in particular. But that's okay. This will be an 'easy' post. Not a 'hot topic' post.

Well, I think that's it for now.

3 comments:

Tara said...

I always enjoy reading your blog... I know what you mean about the bath. my kids do that all the time. So much that when i leave them to the bath I close the shower curtain and t]let them slash to their hearts content. Seems to work so far. It was so bad one time there was water in the basement coming from the vent that is right beside our bathtub that they decided to put water down Just for the heck of it.
AAAHHHHH!!!! Kids!!!!!

Mandy said...

The shower curtain doesn't work for Tanner. He is a HUGE splasher! It doesn't make it so bad but when he opens the curtain and intentionally dumps water on the floor does not make me very happy.

Christal said...

Hey you I admit I'm a blog stalker you are so fun !I loved having little tanner yesterday beside me he did awesome and he is so cute and good!! Anyway I tagged you on my blog so have fun!!TTYL