As I was preparing my talk that I have to give tomorrow I was thinking...well, first I should tell you what Matt and I were asked to talk on. The 11th article of Faith. For those of you who might have forgotten it: We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own concience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where or what they may.
As I was thinking about this topic, I realized that in a previous post ( see 'Almost Fuming' 9/17/07) I had talked about not being able to, or should I say refrain, from religious talk/conversation in Tanner's parented pre-school. I was thinking about how sad it is that we are not able to exercise this privilege of worshiping how, where, or what we may when these types of restrictions are placed upon us. I get both sides, I really do. I understand that some people may feel uncomfortable about religion but it's not as if we talk about it constantly in the parenting class the adults have. It gets hinted to, I feel, a lot but never directly talked about. I believe there is (and I have said it in my previous post) a line between preaching your religion and talking about it. Preaching, to me, is more to do with actually teaching the principles to someone and talking about it is just what it is. You don't talk about your religion with the intent of trying to convert someone or "teach" them. It's just talking about it. Talking about things you learn or commenting on the great lesson you had on Sunday.
I feel that because there are many religions in the world, we should be at least tolerant of each other and our beliefs. If you're uncomfortable about talking about other religions or even hearing about other people's religions, then just say so. But if you don't mind, I'd like to share my experiences sometimes of what has worked for me and what I've learned. I could be wrong on this, I've never studied other religions, but I think unless you're an athiest you believe in God or some higher being. So if people believe in a higher being or God, why can't we talk about it?
I certainly wouldn't be opposed to hearing other people's beliefs and the things they believe in. I've had discussions with friends about why they do what they do because of what they believe in (I hope that makes sense). That doesn't mean because we don't believe the same things we can't be friends or talk about what we believe in.
Why can't we exercise our privilege of "freedom of speech" because people don't all believe the same thing?
I think there are people out there that are super hard core in preaching and talking about God and maybe it's because of those people that are so forcefull and overbearing about their beliefs that the rest of us can't talk about religion in schools. I'm talking about those kind of people that talk and talk and talk about the gospel and have to prove that what the other person is saying or what the other person believes in is wrong. That's not how we are suppose to be examples of Christ. We're not out to prove other people are wrong, we are out to add to other peoples knowledge about Christ and his teachings.
I hope that one day, we will all be able to just tolerate each other and our beliefs and be able to talk about what we choose to without the restrictions.
OH! Here's a funny a story
I was studying and I had the music on that I usually only turn on before church on Sunday's (it's church music) and Tanner said "we going to church in a bit?" and I said "no, not for a few more days". He was a little perplexed because it was Tuesday and I normally just play that music on Sundays but I just felt like I wanted some calm music. So he asked "why you have the mormon tabernacle choir on?" and I replied "I just wanted to listen to some good, calming music while I was reading". The answer satisfied him because he didn't say anything more about it.
I am happy to say that I have all my Christmas shopping done. I have made most of my gifts because we are being careful with our money (okay let's just face it, we're poor...lol) and don't have a lot of extra money to spend so I made my gifts. It's a good thing I got my sister's name and not my brother in law because I don't think he'd appreciate the gift that I made for my sister even before I knew I had her name. Matt got his name (yes, we all know who got each other this year) and so he (okay truthfully I do the shopping) had to buy him something. We have an amazing dollar store here that has some really good stuff. So that's where I headed. I was very successful and even got a christmas pen with bells on it for me and a balloon for Tanner. Everything is truly and honestly only $1. They have things that are 2 for $1 or 4 for a $1 but unless it has a little tag that says that, it's really only $1. Even the Helium balloon I got for Tanner was only $1. They even take credit and debit cards. I hate those dollar stores that are cash only. It is so annoying sometimes.
Then we headed over to Toys R Us and spent about 1 hour or more just looking and playing with the toys. Tanner knew it was just a looking trip and that he wasn't getting anything, though he tried to get me to buy him this huge plastic dinosaur. But I stood firm and said no. I did find a little cheap (okay, on sale) gift for one of the girls that I use to nanny for her birthday and Megan's stocking stuffers.
Then it was to Superstore to get milk and butter and a few other things. $40 later and we were good. About $15-$20 of that was exclusivley for us and not gifts so that was good. I did find some really cute black, peek toed pumps that I really liked but of course I had to walk past them. Oh well, maybe another time.
I'm pretty sure Matt will have to find another job. His pluming job is not giving him enough hours right now. We'll see how it goes. I'm trying to get my cards to be sold in this craft store here so hopefully I'll be successful at that. That'll be a little bit of extra money. Oh well, I know it will all work out somehow.
Well, I guess that's it for now. I should get going and wash my floors and clean my bathroom...ugh! Not something I'm really over motivated to do but it has to be done.
Until next time...
3 years ago






2 comments:
I think there are a few reasons that people get so "offended" by religious talk. There are a lot of people who are atheists- a lot more than we think! I think more people just don't know what they believe so it makes them uncomfortable to be faced with other people's strong convictions, even if it's not "preaching!" Another reason is that a lot of people do not like organized religion, even if they do believe in God. Unfortunately, history is filled with some awful events in the name of organized religion- wars, murder, oppression, slavery, abuse. So in that way, you can kind of understand why people are uncomfortable with religious/spiritual people. They're scared of fanaticism, which we must all be wary of.
But is definitely sad that we can't share more of what we believe without being accused of preaching or trying to convert. When it's such a big part of our lives, it's really hard not to share that. I'm just grateful for the few things left like having God and the Saviour be mentioned in our national anthem. And I hope that never changes!!
I agree with your sentiments, Mandy. I'm glad you have the courage to write about your frustrations! Maybe it will open the eyes of others.
How did your talk go? I have to give one this Sunday!
Post a Comment