When I was at my Sister and Brother in laws this last week for Tanner's appointments (which were good for me but not so fun for Tanner, I'll explain later), I was reading this "bathroom" reader that they have. It's basically a book about random things and lists. One of them that I came across was a Warning Label page.
On a can of insect spray: "Harmful to bees."
On a life-saving device: "this is not a life saving device"
On children's cough syrup: "Do not drive or operate machinery"
On a motorcycle mirror: "Objects in mirror are actually behind you"
On garden furniture: "Keep away from damp and sunlight"
On a box of sleeping pills: "May cause drowsiness"
On a milk bottle: "After opening, keep upright"
On a bag of peanuts: "This product contains nuts"
On a water heater: "If building which heater resides is on fire, do not go into building"
On a mattress: "Do not attempt to swallow" (WHAT!!!! This one is the funniest of them all)
On a T.V. remote: "Not dishwasher safe"
On a garden hose : "May cause cancer in California"
On an iron: "Never iron clothes on the body"
On a graduation gown: "Do not wash or dry clean"
On a video came console: "Do not attempt to stick head inside deck, which may result in injury"
On a bottle of aspirin: "Do not take if allergic to aspirin"
On a chainsaw: "Do not attempt to stop chain with hands or genitals"
On a birthday card: "Not suitable of children aged 36 months or less
On a wristwatch: "This is not underwear. Do not put in pants"
On a hammer: "Do not use to strike any solid object"
On a curling iron: "For external use only"
This is a laugh for me to read these again. Who thinks of these things.
So about Tanner...we went to speech and he was doing good for about 10 minutes. Then he was kind of fooling around, pushing himself up against the table and his arms buckled and he fell. I caught him but I didn't notice until later that he had scraped his back down the chair when he fell. So he was crying and crying and he fell asleep. It's the first time in all the times of speech that he's done that. So Allison and I discussed his therapy and how I felt about things etc, etc. I'm at the point now where I'm doubting that putting him in the PUF program was the best decision for him. Even though I know it's good for him socially and probably even mentally, he has come home with negative behaviour problems such as hitting and screaming. His hitting we have got to a minimum but his screaming and yelling is out of control right now. I know he gets it from the PUF program because a lot of the kids in his class do the same things. That's the reason they are there. Plus I am a little concerned with his speech because there is no way in my mind that he is getting sufficient amount of one on one speech therapy. His class is 75 minutes and there are 5 other kids in his class as well. So he's most likely getting only about 10-15 minutes one on one time and that, in my eyes, is not enough. He gets at least 40 minutes with Allison at ACH and I could see that he was improving a lot more with that. I am partly to blame because I haven't been working with him at home as much as I was when we were in Calgary. I have resolved to be a little more strict in working with him and being more diligent about it.
I also feel like I'm being pulled in several different directions where his speech is concerned. Plus we haven't been followed up by with the O.T.. I know she has come to the school once but to me, I feel like if they are saying that he has a moderate delay, he needs more consistent O.T. So when the new year comes around, I am going to have a meeting with the program leaders to find out what to do.
I was also asked to watch carefully if Tanner gets headaches. This from his Neurosurgeon and Plastic Surgeon. He hasn't complained before so I'm not anticipating a huge change but they asked me to be more aware of it because it most likely means that there is tightening of things in his head and that means surgery. I'm am positively hopeful and sure that things with his head will be fine. If he needs surgery, then we'll do it. I've done it before and I can do it again. So that's the story with Tanner.
While we were up in Calgary, our car had it's first official vehicle accident. My sister was backing out of her driveway and hit our car. There was barely any damage and I drove it around the city and back home the next day without incident. I know my sister felt bad but it was fine. We've had the car for 5 years and we have had minor bumps and scrapes but no official vehicle to vehicle accident. So that was "exciting".
Well, I think that's it for now. I'll be back in a few days with more "bathroom" randomness.
3 years ago






1 comments:
Oh man!! Did you have to mention that I hit your car?? I feel awful... that was such a bad morning.
Post a Comment