Monday, December 10, 2007

Holiday Randomness Part 2

I've kept Tanner home today from school because he has a cold...AGAIN! This boy seems to always have a cold lately. Oh well. So as he's resting, watching a movie I thought I'd post some more holiday randomness. I just have to say, though, that I attended our ward Christmas party this weekend and it was by far, the best Christmas Party I have ever attended. It was amazing!
Anyways, back to the randomness;

**DISCLAIMER** these are NOT my ideas, they all come from the magazine LDS Living

Christmas Charities (I didn't know they had such things)

Christmas Spirit Foundation
christmasspiritfoundation.org
Help needy families in the U.S. during the holiday season

Holiday Project
holiday-project.org
Brighten the days of people confined to nursing homes, hospitals, and other institutions

My Two Front Teeth
mytwofrontteeth.org
This organization offers personalized online gift giving experiences to aid underprivileged children who get to choose their one holiday wish

Toys for Tots
toysfortots.org
Donate a new toy or give a donation to help the Marines make a merry Christmas for a needy child in your community

Christmas Card Aid
cardaid.co.uk/catalog
Purchase your Christmas cards here and one hundred percent of the profits will be donated to charity.

Ideas for Christmas:

-take goodies to the firefighters at the local fire station.
-Have a "Jerusalem Dinner". Dress up in simple biblical costumes, play music from the Messiah and eat simple biblical foods by candlelight-foods like fish, pita bread, hummus, cheeses, grapes oranges and grape juice. Do this on Christmas Eve so that your children think about the Savior instead of Santa on Christmas eve.
-Do a Christmas around the world. Explore the Christmas traditions of a different country. Throughout the season, read about what families in that country do to worship the Savior, who the "magical gift giver" was and what he did, how the families decorate for the season and how the celebrate New Year's. Experiment with recipes from that culture, make decorations to reflect what you've learned (which can sometimes mean no Christmas Tree) as well.
-Sleep under the tree (we've done this one ourselves)

So that's all I will give you for now. There are more, so stay posted and I'll give you more. While you're waiting, enjoy the holiday's.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just love your blog Mandy. I thought the idea of a Jeruselem dinner was cute. I might have to do that for lunch this Christmas Eve.