Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Mixed feelings

I have just had the best weekend I have ever had in a very long time. Relaxing, calming, peaceful, fun. First we had to go up to Calgary for speech on Friday. Then Tanner had a much needed haircut. Then we were suppose to go to the zoo and to Calaway Park but it didn't work out, which was fine. We had some errands to do and that gave me time to do them. We went to Once Upon A Child and traded in a bunch of our Videos (hello, Calliou....he is soooooo stinkin' whiney) and I got some Sunday shoes for Tanner. Then we had dinner and then after dinner we visited my friend Erica and her little boy Josh. We had a really good time and Tanner really enjoyed his visit. We stopped in at my sisters and Tanner was so cute over there. They have two cats and Tanner was having a ball playing with them. On Saturday, we drove out to Drumheller. We went to the Hoodoos which I haven't been to since I was a kid. Tanner LOVED them. My Mom told him that they were the mountains that the Dinosaurs played at. Then after we checked into our fancy motel room and had lunch, we headed for the museum. Tanner was pretty nervous. It didn't help that Melany, my sister, told him the night before that the dinosaurs come alive in the museum and eat people. Not impressive. So he ended up being okay. He was nervous a bit but we didn't stay long. Then we headed up to the old family farm. This was a very sad and disappointing thing to see. It has been broken into numerous amounts of times and it is basically destroyed. Because no one lives up there it's easy to break into and do what you want with it. There isn't a window left at all so they've all been boarded up. Then, the kitchen sliding doors have been totally broken so birds live in the roof and in some of the rooms upstairs. It's very sad. People have stolen EVERYTHING out of there. They've stolen the stove, the bathtub, the sink, the kitchen cupboards, and they have started to pull the wood off the walls. It was not a pretty site. I went upstairs (I know, it was brave of me seeing as there are birds flying around up there in pitch dark) and got some pictures of the rooms up there. I just wanted to cry after being there. I don't understand why people could do something so horrible as they have done to the farm house. It makes it clearer to me that something needs to be done with the land the farm is sitting on. It just gets worse and worse. I just kept thinking about all the time we spent up there as kids and how fun it was to be there. Anyways, that's enough about that.
Tanner has qualified to be in this program called program unit funding (PUF) and he had his first day at school there. We can still keep him in the parented preschool he's in but this is an additional thing. It's 4 days a week and every Wednesday they go swimming in Lethbridge. Monday is music and story time, Tuesday is gymnastics, and Thursday is speech. I have some mixed feeling about it. We were originally in with the 4 year old PUF kids but then we got put in the 3 year olds (which he should be in, and is in now) but the 3 year olds have a lot of low functioning children and I am worried that it will disrupt Tanners progress that he's making and I worry that he will fall behind. Most of the children don't really even talk. Tanner just seems so old in that class. Yet, I don't want him to miss out on the opportunities that he has with this program. I guess we will take it one day at a time. I think the more opportunities he's given the better he will progress. It's not that it even bothers me that he's in a "special needs" group, it's just that he has made a lot of progress this last year and I really don't want him to fall back. I know he needs a little extra help and I'm happy to be in a place where he can recieve it, I just have concerns, that's all. I guess that's natural. I didn't feel at all concerned about the parented pre-school he is in. I know how it works and I know he feels safe there. I'm not sure why the mild uneasiness. Anyway, I'm sure it will be fine once we get into the groove of things. I think that's it for now.

1 comments:

Jamie said...

I'm glad you had a good weekend - I was happy to see you! I can't believe your sister told Tanner that about the dinosaurs - no wonder he was scared!!! I'm sorry about the farm - that sucks.
Maybe Tanner will excel in that class. You could argue that it might be detrimental for him to be in an older class and always be behind... Plus in his other preschool, he'll get that extra stimulation he needs right?