Thursday, September 13, 2007

Almost fuming

Today at Tanner's first day of parented pre-school we got some 'guidelines' that I'm a little leary about. Okay, well one of the guidelines. What is it...ah hah! I knew you were hoping I'd say what it was. We have been asked not to talk about our religion at the school. Okay, so why does that have my knickers tied in a small knot? I'll tell you why. Raymond is predominatley LDS, about 85%. So we were told that the school is a non-demoninational school, which is news to me. To me, not talking about religion would be like not talking about about my spouse because someone has certain opinions about marriage. Why is religion such a "hot" topic? And the other thing is that I firmly believe that there is a clear and definite difference about talking about what you believe and practice and preaching it. So we can't even talk about chuch related anything with anyone while in the building. So if there is someone from my ward (which there is) or another member of the church there, we can't even talk about anything religion related. The teacher said it's to make sure that everyone is included. The teacher herself is LDS so it's just kind of ironic that we aren't allowed to speak anything about religion. Yet just before the snack is brought out, we sing a little "prayer" song with the word God in it. So how is that not religious related? Religion is religion. If you move here, don't people know that it's highly populated with LDS members? If you don't like it, leave. No I'm totally kidding on that one. But come on, really? So if someone asked me what my lesson was about on Sunday, I have to go outside and talk to them about it??? I just think that it's a little crazy, maybe people taking crazy pills, making these rules. Anyways, that's my piece, or should I say peace, on that subject.
Tanner loved his first day and he was pretty good. We have a parent teaching time where we learn about something and bring up concerns etc. The kids go to the play room and play (with another adult or two) while the parent stays and learns. I took some pictures of Tanner before we left and took some of him playing etc. I know that it will really help him and get him to be where he needs to be with his minor delay in fine motor skills. Plus, I know it really really improves his speech. Everytime we go up to speech therapy, Allison says how much better he is doing. So I know we are on the right road. I thought at first that not being financally able to go up every other week might have made Tanner fall behind, but it hasn't. Once a month is still helping him. Plus now that he's getting OT, I just feel so much better about him feeling and being confident in being as close to other kids his age as possible. I don't want him to dislike school because he can't do certain things or say certain things. I want him to have the best possible chance there is at being as normal as possible.
Of course my eyes and mind are not blind to the fact that he physically looks different than other kids but I feel that him being as normal as otherwise possible will help him deal with that. I'm no dummy. I know there will be teasing and tears and hurt feelings but I also know that if we help to build his confidence strong and firm now, he'll be able to deal with those things better. I hope that makes sense. It does worry me a little bit at the thought that other kids will make fun of or say mean things about my beautiful, precious, amazingly wonderful boy, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there. I know that the Lord will help Matt and I as his parents to know what to do and to know what to say to Tanner and how do deal with that stuff when it comes. I have complete faith that if we are doing our part in doing the best we can as parents now, it won't be as difficult later because the Lord will bless us with whatever we need. Weather it be knowledge or patience or whatever. I just know.
Tanner is so funny and cute lateley. He has this stall tactic that he does that on the very rare occasion, gets on my nerves. It's actually quite cute. Here's a sample:

Me: Tanner, it's time to brush your teeth and get ready for bed

Tanner: Whad you say?

M: It's time to get ready for bed sweetheart

T: WHAD you say?

M: come on, let's go

T:(in his loudest possible voice) WHAD YOU SAY??

He does this daily with other things as well. Especailly at meal times too.

The other thing he does is that he insists on having his own scriptures when we are reading them at night. He likes to look at the pictures in his. He especially loves the picture of Lehi and his family on the boat to the Promised Land. He gets this big, goofy, smiley grin when he looks at it. Like he was there or something. And he likes to read them by himself in bed at night. It's soooooo cute. We are so lucky to have him as our son. He is so amazing.

Anyway, I think that's all for now.

1 comments:

Jamie said...

Ugh - Nate does that "what did you say" thing too - but he learned it from Isaiah who is the master. I always snap back, YOU HEARD ME - I'm not so patient.
As for your school rules - that is a little odd. It's weird to me that they dictate what you can and can't talk about amongst yourselves. They must have had a real problem in the past with people feeling excluded because they weren't part of the "Mormon crowd", you know? I guess sometimes you can't count on people to use their own discretion to not leave people out. Sad, but true.