Saturday, September 8, 2007

Here's a thought

This week has been crazy, busy, tiring...all of it. It went by way too quickly for me. On Monday we went to the Temple with my sister, Megan, and her husband, Dean. They came to our place after and we had a really nice visit. I love when I have people visit. It's so nice to have adult conversations. Plus, I talk a lot so I can talk A LOT! I guess blogging is a really good outlet. Anyway. I've had some really nice e-mails from my cousin and that's been really nice because it's not that often that our family gets together anymore. Why is that I wonder? I think it's because people seem to feel like family isn't as important or that it takes too much time to have a relationship with other people. We use to get together a lot. I loved having reunions and when all the cousins started getting married we'd all go to those. Now there are only 3 cousins that aren't married and everyone else is having kids. I just really love getting together and watching everyone and seeing how everyone is doing. Also, not everyone, even in your own family, has the same ideas. Everyone has their own opinion about certain things. Like this one time, we had this big family gathering out at the family farm in Drumheller and my Aunt was there with her recently new husband. My sister had brought her dog and my Aunt's husband was actually kind of mean and kicked the dog a little bit. He also said some hateful words about my sister's dog and dogs in general. What the heck! We all thought it was pretty un called for. But there's always one in every family. One family that has all the goody goodies, one family that has a broken family and children from different spouses, one family that is large and you can never seem to keep track of how many there are, one reasonably normal family and one that lives too far away to keep a good relationship with. I guess everyone hopes to fall in the "reasonably normal" category but not all do. And it's interesting that as we get older, we see where we might have fit.
Well, here's some really exciting news. Yesterday I made my first ever home made bread from scratch and home made raspberry jam. I was so happy. My Mom came down for a day and a half and she helped me with the jam...it was her recipie. It was my favorite jam in the whole wide world and even still, no one has EVER made better jam than her. I hope that mine turns out as good as hers. I remember her, every summer and fall, making the jam and coming home from school and there were jam jars all over the place and the huge massive pot she had for boiling the jars. And she made tons and tons and tons of jam. We had jam for at least 2 years. She had a massivley huge raspberry patch and we use to have to go out there and pick those berries for what seemed like hours. We were out there every Monday for FHE garunteed and usually 1 or 2 more times during the week. But we all had ice cream buckets and every time we picked, we picked till those buckets were so full you couldn't even squeeze air in between the berries. My Mom would go out every night after dinner and pick the berries. I ALWAYS chose to do the back of the bush where the fence was because no one else wanted to get scratched up. Plus, no one saw me eating the berries. I was actually doing my Mom a favor because if I didn't eat some berries, she would have had more work to do. And that's where all the best tasting berries were. Man was I ever smart! I just have a lot of fond memories over raspberries and raspberry.
It was actually cold enough here yesterday to turn on the furnace. It was nice to get in my bed last night and get down under the blankets and pull them up all around me. I loved it!
Well, I think that's all for now.

3 comments:

Tara said...

Lots sure happened that week eh?

Jamie said...

You make me laugh - good for you for making bread from scratch AND making jam. I have yet to do either.

Mandy said...

Well at least I have a couple less things from my list of "things to do before I die" so that's good.