Tuesday, December 30, 2008

The war is over is it not?

First off, we had a fair Christmas. Take that for what you want. It wasn't the best Christmas, but it wasn't the worst. I guess, it was a fairly normal Christmas...including tears, laughter, smiles, screams of joy and happiness, surprises and way way way too much food. I am sure I've gained at least 10lbs this month. Tanner got lots...as usual. Matt and I got some really nice things. Some books that we really wanted, skates for Matt so he can learn along with Tanner how to skate, treats, and other things.

So this may be a "hot topic" but I don't understand why people keep glorifying or praising soldiers...people who join the army or navy by their own free choice...and get rewarded for what they are paid to do. Wasn't the war for our freedom already fought? So why do we keep glorifying or praising these people who freely choose their life? Why do we reward them for their "talents"? I'm not saying that I'm not grateful for the war that was fought so that I have the freedom I do now, but it seems like there are other people in the world that have talents that don't get recognized. Why aren't we expressing and showing our thanks and praises to those who actually deserve it, like our husbands and children and the Savior. Anyways, just a thought.

We are looking forward to a great new year and lots of happy things. We don't have any plans for the new year. Maybe just rent a movie and eat the last of our treats.

Matt and I get a new Primary class this week. We are excited. Sad that we won't teach the kids we've had for over a year, but excited to have new students. We also have a new chorister and a few new teachers so it should be an exciting adventure for all of us.

We are thinking about getting Internet back. Now that Matt will be at a consistent job and we don't have to pay AHC anymore, we'll have a little more...I hope. I have been going to the Chiropractor every week and that adds up, but it is worth it and we are hoping it will help us in our efforts to get pregnant. If not, then that's okay. I am not getting my hopes up and I feel relaxed and calm about it. If we are meant to have another child, then it will happen, if not, then I know that's okay too.

I know this is a totally random post with lots of random thoughts. Sorry. Anyways, that's about all for now.

2 comments:

Amykins Angel said...

Hey, good luck on getting pregnant. Seems like everyone is getting pregnant now a days, especially everyone in the ward too lol.

About the Soldiers. I can understand your, I guess, frustrations with how more other, important things need to be recognized and glorified.
But, I do support the recognition of our Soldiers. I know these young men give up their lives for their families, and their land and country. But I do believe it needs to be recognized. It is a really serious thing. I had a friend die in Afghanistan, he was attacked and murdered so maybe because of that, it is easy for me to glorify.

If anything, I think it just breaks my heart. It breaks my heart that these young men give up their lives because of foolish Governments and wars that we have to have. Think of the broken wives, children, mothers...

In a way, Soldiers are view like Celebrities...
Too high.
Doctors need more credit for saving lives.
Firefighters need more credit for saving lives.
Veterinarians need more credit for helping our furry beloveds.
Teachers need more credit, because without them, our children would not be educated.
So, I see and understand your point.

Glad to hear your Christmas went well.

And have an awesome New year:)

Sharon said...

Well if you really HAVE gained 10 lbs this month (I doubt it), then good thing the Moonlight Run entry forms came in the mail! Although I don't know if I will this year, I have already ditched out of two runs recently - should probably just save the money on another one :)

I have extreme respect for what soldiers do - firefighters, doctors, and several others too. I hope we are never in the situation of our grandmothers where we HAD to say goodbye, but I think all the current peacekeeping missions keep all the little flare-ups under control before they escalate into another World War. For that, I am thankful.

What I don't get is the big media hoopla when there are casualties. I highly doubt that every WWI, WWII, Vietman or Korean soldier who died got full-page newspaper writeups and top story coverage by every newscast for a week. It's a very sad and tragic part of their job, but like you said, they chose it.

But still, I am glad that they did.