Friday, September 19, 2008

Getting Better

So only 6 days since my last post...lol. Maybe next post will be 5 days from now. Let's see...what's been happening???? We are in Calgary right now and we are helping my Mom and the church up here do the annual food drive for the Salvation Army. Last year they got $750,000 worth of food and this year they are hoping to make the Guinness book of records and get $1,000,000 worth of food. What a great thing to be part of.

Tanner did really well in his speech. His SLP (speech language pathologist) was very impressed with him. Mostly because he has a cold and so his 's' sounds (which are hard for him to come naturally but he can do it if he slows down and controls himself) are perfect because they are not nasally. Hopefully he'll get it soon. We've been working on them for a really long time.

Tanner's quilt is almost done. I just have to quilt it now. I had to trim it and pin and sew the filling in it and that took some time. I also made my sister a quilt for her baby. It's just a double sided flannel blanket but she didn't have any and I didn't want her to not have at least one for as soon as the baby is born. It's big enough for her to swaddle the baby or use it as a crib blanket. I'll post pictures hopefully in the next post.

I also did more canning! I canned strawberry rhubarb jam. It was really easy. I am also making rhubarb pies and apple pies with my aunt. I'm doing that the last week in September. I hope that next year I can do some tomatoes and applesauce. Plus the pears, peaches, and jams. When I first thought about canning, I thought it was so hard but when I did it, it wasn't that hard at all and in reality, it's quite easy. Especially if you have a friend or 2 or 3 to do it with. It goes much faster with more people. Plus if you start small, it doesn't seem overwhelming. I only ordered 1 case each of pears and peaches and it was perfect. If I ordered more than 1 of each, I think I might have felt a bit overwhelmed. I'm glad I started small and next year, I'll go bigger.

My sister is coming to get her bassinet and baby clothes tomorrow (at my Mom's). I'm excited for her to finally have them and to be able to give them to her. We all made guesses at when she's going to have her baby and what it's going to be. Tanner said it's a girl. When I asked him if someone told him that he said that Heavenly Father told him. So who knows...we'll see. I guessed a girl too. Only Dean, Megan and my Aunt Carolyn think it's a boy. There's benefits to both. If they have a boy, they have TONS AND TONS of boy things that I can pass down to them. If it's a girl, she'll be just as spoiled as Tanner was when he was first born. I hope they have a girl because I think Megan needs to have a baby that is spoiled like Tanner was and still is. I don't know...is that vain of me? I just don't want her to feel like her baby isn't as special or spoiled as Tanner is. But I'm sure that if she has a boy, it will be spoiled in other ways that Tanner wasn't. I'm just really excited for my sister and her husband to have a baby and to be an Aunt in my family. I can hardly wait!

Well, I guess that's about it for now. Until next time...

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Hey you - you are in Calgary? I just got your letter - I sent you and e-mail!
You are just a little canning machine! Sounds pretty yummy! Can't wait to pics of all your work - and your new niece/nephew!

Megan C said...

That's exciting that you're going to be an Auntie on your side! My little sister just had her first baby and I have LOVED watching her become a mom! I sure do love being an Auntie it's tons of fun!!!