I have been thinking a lot lately on a lot of things. Lately I have been pondering "What specific things makes a person my friend and not just someone I associate with or get along with"? This is a multi-faceted question. At what point do you consider someone your friend? Is there a moment you can pinpoint that made 2 people more than just 2 co-existing people?
I think for me, there are different things with different friends that made me consider/think/feel that we were more than just 2 people getting along.
I think everyone probably has their own definition of what a friend is to them.
For example, I enjoy hanging out and associating with many people...especially being in the church, there are many opportunities to interact with different people, but just because I get along with and even like an individual doesn't mean, for me, we are automatically friends. I think a person can be friendly without being friends with people.
For me, being a friend is about spending time together, getting to know each other and creating memories that will last forever.
But is it the same for everyone?
Are we all not "friends" in a sense? Different friends add different things to my life. Where one person adds to my life spiritually, the next might add to it mentally or emotionally or even socially.
For me, my best friends add pretty much all of these things to my life and that's why I consider them my best friends. I feel like I am able to be friends with many people and I am so thankful for that. I feel very grateful for the friends that I do have and the people that love me for me no matter what.
So I send the question to those reading my blog....What makes a person YOUR friend?
*UPDATE*
I have discovered that I have lived in a 'box' when it comes to friends. What I saw of my Mom and Dad's friendships, that's what I thought 'friends' were. I have come to the realization that my definition of a friend doesn't need to be so defined. It's like that line on the movie 'Never been Kissed' with Drew Barrymore, "we accept all people". I love that. Why shouldn't I be friends with whoever I want? Age shouldn't limit a person to who a person is friends with. I like all people. If we have a good time together, then let's be friends!
3 years ago






1 comments:
I think friends can actually encompass a huge cross section of relationships, at least for me. I consider someone my friend if, I think about them, care about what they think (opinions, ideas and beliefs), care about what happens to them, and they have to be someone I would have coffee/tea/treats with. So for me that is a lot of people. I think having a lot of friends is not really a bad thing because I know that as I go through my life I change and go through a lot of different phases, right now I am in full mommy phase. I find myself connecting more with my mommy friends right now than I did when I was in my school phase. I feel connection to other humans is the greatest gift and full purpose in life. When I am having a bad day and a friend offers a smile, a happy note on my FB wall or just lets me ramble, I feel like the luckiest person in the world. Of course my best friend is my husband, but that is another topic all together.
Post a Comment