Monday, November 9, 2009

I took the plunge

I got the H1N1 shot. I really wasn't sure about it but I was volunteering at the clinic they were running here and a lot of people said I should have it. I was really leaning on the side of doing it and so I decided, why not? I wasn't going to have it but then I talked to my sister and I changed my mind. Tanner will be getting it as well. I talked to the kidney specialist (nephroligist) and they strongly recommend him getting it so we will be going tomorrow to have it done. He is NOT good at shots. When he had his vaccinations last year, it took 2 of us to hold him down still. And he's strong so it's not that easy to that. Some people may think that it's ridiculous that he throws a tantrum (so I've been told) at 5 years old to get a needle, but he's just a kid still so I do not attempt to make any excuses or justifications for the way he is. I compare it to when my Dad died. People brought over copious amounts of casseroles and for years and years I could not stand to eat casseroles. It wasn't until I was married that I could willingly eat them. It's a bad memory that's associated with them. I'm totally fine with them now. I don't make them too often but I do like certain ones more than others.

We had a really great Halloween. Matt handed out the candy and sent Tanner and I out and told us not to come back until our pillow case was half full. We did end up being out for about 2 1/2 hours but our pillow case was only about 1/3 full. Tanner was having fun and it was a nice night so we just kept going.

Lots has been going on and we are having a great time as the weather is fairly good still.

5 comments:

Lahni said...

For what it's worth, I think you made the right decision about the vaccine. There is a lot of information out there that is just simply not true about the vaccine.
It's too bad that Tanner hates needles that much - it must be a traumatic experience for both of you to have to get him immunized!

Jamie said...

We got the shot too. Well, Jax & I did. My arm was sooo sore - still is actually. I think it's totally fair that Tanner doesn't like shots - who does? And since when to kids have to be logical about that kind of thing!? I bribed my kids with a new toy. It worked for Jax - Nate might be too smart.

Megan D, said...

I don't like casseroles either but simply because they're disgusting. I still make them too but only because they are cheap to make and only if they have lots of cheese in them!

After all Tanner has been through you'd think he wouldn't even bat an eye at needles? But I agree that he is entitled to freak out about having a shot. He's just a kid!

Kendra said...

I don't think it's unreasonable that Tanner would freak at the shot. It sounds like a fairly common thing for a child to do! I know that when we took Brooke for her shot there were plenty of kids tanners age there and many of them were. not. happy.

Erica said...

How many surgeries has Tanner had? Um yeah-I think his fear of needles is TOTALLY justified! It's not like he's 15 and you're trying to hold him down and he's freaking out still. LOL.